XLH shocks on a XS650? will these fit?

Snikare

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm building up a '79 xs650 special, and have done lots of special chops and building to the bike. I'm keeping the stock shock height on the bike, but want to put newer shocks on the bike. I've been looking around to find the right shocks, and have come across these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371050500364?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/VTwinProd1_10101_10102_3318254_-1

They are the same shocks. Anyone know if the eyelets on these shocks meant for an XLH will fit on an xs650?

Measuring the shock stud on my bike, I get a diameter of 13.5 mm.
I can't seem to find any info on the diameter of the shock mount studs from XL or XLHs...

Can anyone help?

Thanks

- - - Anyone know if the eyelets on these shocks meant for an XLH will fit on an xs650? - - -

Hi Snikare,
they don't say in the ad, eh?
No matter, if the holes are wrong you can press the rubber things out and replace them.
But did you see how much the e-seller wants to ship the bastards?
For $60+ shipping you could save money buying local and take your caliper to the store with you.

I put Harley sportster shocks on my bobber. I did have to press out the rubbers and put new ones in. Plus the bottom eye was too wide to fit in the xs650 mount, so I shaved it a bit. They work OK, but a bit stiff for a much lighter bike.

Thanks all. I contacted the seller, and they were no help. They say since the shocks are imported, they dont keep any in stock. Therefore they can't measure them for me. I dont mind doing a little work to make them fit if I need to, ie grinding down the bottom eyelet a bit... Would love it though if they came with the right size grommets however. Where would I get the new grommets if I needed them?
The shocks are listed on another vendor's page on ebay that offers free shipping. They fit my budget and they look the way I want them to look. I don't mind a bit stiffer ride, even though I've made the bike much lighter than original, I still think the thing is a tank. I'll be taking a passenger semi often as well.

My overall desire is a stock looking shock, I like the cover that goes over the top of the spring. It's kinda hard to find such an animal though. Are there any other suggestions for shocks that fit, and look like one of these?

Thanks all. I contacted the seller, and they were no help. They say since the shocks are imported, they dont keep any in stock. Therefore they can't measure them for me. I dont mind doing a little work to make them fit if I need to, ie grinding down the bottom eyelet a bit... Would love it though if they came with the right size grommets however. Where would I get the new grommets if I needed them?
The shocks are listed on another vendor's page on ebay that offers free shipping. They fit my budget and they look the way I want them to look. I don't mind a bit stiffer ride, even though I've made the bike much lighter than original, I still think the thing is a tank. I'll be taking a passenger semi often as well.

My overall desire is a stock looking shock, I like the cover that goes over the top of the spring. It's kinda hard to find such an animal though. Are there any other suggestions for shocks that fit, and look like one of these?
It's sad that the seller is too lazy to send an email on to the manufacturer to get the measurement for you.

Back