xs 650 crank/s

69-73 :256 eng. have bigger top piston pins and longer rods,74 and up :447eng. have smaller piston pins and shorter rods
there are more differences but thats the basic diff.

European 533 cranks have a larger big end, same size cam sprocket as the 447 engine, 256 had a different number of teeth on the cam sprocket, all have the same stroke but different rod length with holes at different heights in the pistons, 20mm pin in the 447 and 533, 22mm pin in the 256

so it do not make any difference what year crank to use ......when doing a re-phase ?

will any crank work in any engine........

for instance can you use a 73 crank in a 77 engine ?:yikes:

in the steel inserts in the crank bearing journals..... (in the case where the crank fits )
does anyone know what the actual steel inserts look like ????????

like melt the case to see the actual inserts .

the reason is i want to make my own case/s & iwould like to know what this insert re-inforcement really looks like .

These are roller bearing cranks. The oil system is hi-flow, low pressure. May need to destroke to make room for 2-piece insert rods. You'd have to reinvent the case, crank, rods, pressure lubrication, cam drive. Might be easier to graft an XS650 top end onto a Norton Atlas...

These are roller bearing cranks. The oil system is hi-flow, low pressure. May need to destroke to make room for 2-piece insert rods. You'd have to reinvent the case, crank, rods, pressure lubrication, cam drive. Might be easier to graft an XS650 top end onto a Norton Atlas...

no it i very easy to make the crank case......... no transmission , just the crank case.
from there you can add a bolt on transmission , or a belt drive (snowmobile clutch) or hook it up to a jet pump drive for a jet ski. and the best part is using this very dependable 650 60 h.p. twin cylinder set in an aircraft .
this engine is SUPER VERSATILE !
IT CAN POWER MANY THINGS.............

i was wondering what the steel inserts actually look like......... the ones cast into the bearing journals. . . . .
no biggie .......i am thinking that mine will be strong built anyway ....... like a automotive engine ........ except smaller , super strong etc........

i have thought of this for some time........ i actually will not use this engine for the motorcycle........ but for many other applications .

E`SPECALLY AIRCRAFT & BOAT JET DRIVES .
THIS ENGINE IS TOTALLY BULLET PROOF !
with all of the excess weight of the transmission and other componets that are a part of the stock factory engine ......... it is light enough for the aircraft .

& 60 h.p. makes the scene !
that 60 h.p. will make a small aircraft like the rutan quickie or the hummel go 200+ mph .:)

They are super reliable in the stock 30-40 horsepower trim. I wouldn't expect the same reliability at 60 horsepower.

OK, I understand, now. I've seen some interesting motorcycle engine installs in the BD-5, including a BMW opposed twin, heads hanging out in the breeze.

Attachments

• BD-5-01.jpg
    BD-5-01.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 128
  • BD-5-02.jpg
    BD-5-02.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 116
  • BD-5-03.jpg
    BD-5-03.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 138
OK, I understand, now. I've seen some interesting motorcycle engine installs in the BD-5, including a BMW opposed twin, heads hanging out in the breeze.

i think i got my h.p. wrong......... its 50 h.p. at 7000+ rpm.
still makes a great boat engine........ dependable too .

got any old engines for sale ?

yep.......... those be the steel bearing seats that are cast into the case...... to re-inforce the crank .

i would like to x-ray those bearing seats.....& know exactly what the diamentions of the inserts are .

the one/s i am to use will be automotive type .

(all steel alloy).

and my crank case will be round aluminum 0r magnesium tubing, with the cylinder flange welded to the tubing...... from there the whole thing bolts up .
there are 2 (two) ways to mfg. the case;
make the case tube (from the end to end of the crank length) a sectional bolt together case.....(round tubes that bolt together) ...... so one can install the crank & rods.
the other is a (2) two...... piece round tube that bolts together like the original case .
top to bottom.
from there (as you design the case for additional bolt-up applications)......... you incorparate & design into the case what you want to add that you can install..... transmission, (end mounts or the ignition etc......).:bike::wtf:

Well, here's what a rephased crank looks like. Mains are 3 roller, 1 ballbearing. Oil feeds into the 3 roller bearings. Pins in the case bearing bosses keep the bearing shells from spinning.

You can get crank parts here: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-24.html#products

Attachments

• CrankDis.jpg
    CrankDis.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 191
  • punkskalar-builds-bike-chopperthing-100_2999.jpg
    punkskalar-builds-bike-chopperthing-100_2999.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 154
  • OzCrank09.jpg
    OzCrank09.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 556
Back