XS 650 Gas mileage?

jriehl08

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know it depends on riding style along with gearing and mods done. I am just trying to get an idea of mileage so I have an idea on tank size so I can ride to and from work 1 day without having to get gas going both ways. I ride 140 round trip.

I know it depends on riding style along with gearing and mods done. I am just trying to get an idea of mileage so I have an idea on tank size so I can ride to and from work 1 day without having to get gas going both ways. I ride 140 round trip.

It depends on several things. If you have a "Special" tank at 2.9 gallons (11 litres), get 55.8 mpg, have 33 rear sprocket, you would have to go on to reserve to go the 140 miles, but you would make it.

If you have a "Standard" tank at 3.9 gallons (15 litres), get 55.8 mpg, have 33 rear sprocket, you would make it without going on reserve.

If you have a "Special" tank, but your carbs aren't tuned, giving only 45 mpg, you will run out of gas on the road.

If you have a "Standard" tank, and get only 45 mpg, you would make it but would be on reserve.

Better to fill up at your one way destination.

No I guess I should have said I am just looking for a ball park number the motor should get so I know how big of a tank I need to find while doing my bobber build. I dont like many of the small tanks anyways. I was hoping to find a nicely shaped 4.5 gallon size tank.

So if we said it will get the same as my 08 650 star at around 46 mpg I will be safe so that I dont have to fuel up both directions.

No I guess I should have said I am just looking for a ball park number the motor should get so I know how big of a tank I need to find while doing my bobber build. I dont like many of the small tanks anyways. I was hoping to find a nicely shaped 4.5 gallon size tank.

So if we said it will get the same as my 08 650 star at around 46 mpg I will be safe so that I dont have to fuel up both directions.

You are correct.....................4.5 gal X 46 mpg = 207 miles :bike:

Its not that Im worried to run out of gas I just don't want to have to stop for gas in the morning and on the way home. I hate stopping for gas. lol I know you have to get gas or your not going anywhere I just wasn't sure how these 650 do for mileage compaired to my 08 650 vstar. I fill it at the same gas station every night on my way home and that works really well for me. Hoping once the tx650 bobber is on the road Ill be able to do the same thing with my round trip being 140 miles a day.

I can ride about 150 miles on my bobber with honda rebel tank (just over 3 gal 32 rear
sprocket,stock 81 eng.with vm34 carbs and 1 1/2 tt pipes, riding both high way and in
town . ( note the rebal tank is not a bolt on tank it needs to be modified to fit.) a king sporty tank is about 3.1 gal. and can be bolted on with out to much truble.I hope it helps

jriehl08 I have an old Triumph Bonneville 650 tank that I was thinking about selling. Its a 4 gallon tank if I remember correctly, I know its not smaller than that, might even be 4.5 gallons. If this sounds like something you might be interested in let me know.

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 7.04.03 PM.png

This is the only picture I happen to have handy right now while at work. I could take more later if need be. Tank doesn't have any rust or any dings. It is missing one of the front mounts but you wouldn't be using those on an xs anyway so you'd probably want to get rid of the other one too. The paint job is just an added bonus lol. There are pictures on my build thread that could give you an idea of what it looks like on a stock xs. I paid 150 for the tank and somewhere around 23 for shipping. I'd probably let it go for an even 170 if youre interested.

the "standard" tank that Mikes sells are 3.8 gal and even at 40 mpg that should make the round trip for ya. they come with caps and petcocks. of course the paint job isn't as cool as the desert scene on the trumpet tank.

For highway mileage, the leaner you run the better mileage you will get. That may not be true in situations where you're doing a lot of shifting.

Back