XS 650 Gas mileage?

For highway mileage, the leaner you run the better mileage you will get. That may not be true in situations where you're doing a lot of shifting.

I'd have to see some evidence before I accept that as fact.

I suspect there is a point of diminishing returns since a leaner mixture will require less spark advance which could well result in lower effeciency. And of course mileage drops off drastically once you melt a hole in your piston.

^I'll not only give you evidence, I'll prove it:

A mile is some number of revolutions of the wheel. There's no slippage in the drive train. That means the less gas drawn in during the intake stroke the less gas you will use per wheel revolution, and therefore per mile.

^I'll not only give you evidence, I'll prove it:

A mile is some number of revolutions of the wheel. There's no slippage in the drive train. That means the less gas drawn in during the intake stroke the less gas you will use per wheel revolution, and therefore per mile.

Have you thought about throttle position and how it varies the amount of fuel drawn in?

If you give it some thought I think you will see that your explaination falls short.

This should put the matter to rest:

“Stoichiometric” is the term for the theoretically most efficient air:fuel ratio. That ratio provides just enough air to burn all of the fuel with none left over. For gasoline the stoichiometric ratio is 14.7:1; for diesel 14.5:1. Increasing the “air” side of the ratio above the stoichiometric numbers results in diminishing performance since the "extra" air cools the burning charge and requires parasitic "pumping" .

In practice, normally-aspirated spark-ignition (SI) gasoline engines produce maximum power just slightly RICH of stoichiometric but because of heat considerations air:fuel mixes for street engines are kept a bit RICHER than that, normally between 12:1 and 13:1.

Note that the hypothesis that fuel economy increases as an inverse function of the fuel component of the air:fuel ratio (i.e. less gas to air in the mix = more mpg), if taken to its logical conclusion, means that the theoretical best mileage would be produced with a 1:0 ratio (i.e. no fuel at all). While the empirical reality is that anything past stoichiometric defeats the assertion, an excercise in simple logic defeats the hypothesis on its face.

* note that “air” is a mixture of mostly nitrogen (79%) and oxygen (20%); Only the oxygen is “consumed” i.e. combined with the hydrocarbons in the fuel during combustion. The nitrogen expands from the heat of the combustion to produce the pressure that drives the piston

If you give it some thought I think you will see that your explaination falls short.
If you read all the posts, and give it some thought your own self, you will (probably won't) see that ...fuck it never mind.

^If somebody would rather write a half page on "stoichiometric" than try to get a simple thing, then fuck it.

^If somebody would rather write a half page on "stoichiometric" than try to get a simple thing, then fuck it.[/QU

the simple thing is dude, your assertion was incorrect. And it was dangerously incorrect since anyone fool enough to follow it could melt a piston trying to squeeze a
few more miles out of a gallon of gas.

Your "fuck the facts" way at looking at things really isn't very helpful.

And to think I was going to ask what oil I should run in my bike next......LMAO Guys I was really just tying to get an idea of mileage so I knew how big of a tank I should be looking for my build.

And to think I was going to ask what oil I should run in my bike next......LMAO Guys I was really just tying to get an idea of mileage so I knew how big of a tank I should be looking for my build.

Shell Rotello is the oil to use. And if that discussion heats up I'll talk about cost effectiveness, ZDDP and flat tappets and somebody will tell you that Pennzoil is part holy water.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory, [1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response [2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Its easier to just click ignore... then you dont have to read posts by trolls.

By reading some of his other posts it is obvious that xjwmx doesn't understand / believe in science . I guess you could call him a troll if you want ,shotgun , but I just think he is lonely .

On topic, my bike gets horrible mileage . Not sure if it is because of the free flow exhaust and pods or just my weight and riding style . I do love to play around in the 5000 rpm range .

[ I ride 140 round trip.[/QUOTE]

Anybody else think this is a long ways to be commuting on an XS? I ride mine 25 miles round trip when the weather is perfect and every once in a while I'll do 80 miles to town & back. Think I'd invest in something from this century for a long distance commuter. But then I'm not as adventurous as I once was!

(And I've seen mileage drop in half running into the wind trying to make time.)

With my car in the shop for over a week my xs650 was my primary transportation. 110 round trip for work, dropping my daughter off at her work, some shopping…. Racked up over 700 miles in a week. I got in the mid 50s MPG.

Back