XS Performance Mufflers (Or Emgos) on Stock Special Headers?

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had success mating these to the stock special headers (using Pete's method with the reducer on the inner pipe, of course), AND retaining the use of their center stand? I've read a few posts about people's center stand tangs hitting the muffler b/c it's shorter and wider at the tang's resting position.

I think that I will be in good shape because my center stand has been shortened by 2", and I was thinking I could just use a bit more of an extension pipe at the header to push the muffler back if I need to, while keeping the proportions looking good.

Just hoping someone could weigh in with personal experience.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0114.html

or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161206468923?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks!
Adam

Yes but with these, reverse cone in the 27+ inch length. No spacers needed and no change to the stands. Stock headers cut just aft of the frame mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Dunsta...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdb9d233f&vxp=mtr

Nice tone to them. I believe I've got a short video of them but they were mounted on some single wall early stock style headers at that time. Since then I've done the Pete mod and am quite pleased.
I've got a set of the Mikes Commando style muffs with those single wall headers on the '77 and they sound great too.....though I tried to convert them to another set of Pete modified stock Special headers but they seemed a bit narrower for the slip on. Dunno why.

Those mufflers you're looking at are very, very loud. In fact, I wouldn't even call them a muffler, lol.

The MikesXS one for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if the EMGO is also very loud. A muffler needs volume (size) to quiet the exhaust. These just aren't big enough. My buddy had a set of the MikesXS ones he bought used from a guy on another 650 list. The guy sold them because they were too loud. After a couple seasons, my buddy did too for the very same reason. He has the Commandos now and is very satisfied. He bought them because he had seen and heard mine numerous times. Wonderful muffler for the 650, and probably just about any other bike you could fit it to.

For those of you unfamiliar with the "Pete" adapter mod, here are a few pics:

Here is the inner pipe end view:
inner.jpg

Here is the adapter (548520), available at your local auto parts store:
adapter.jpg

Muffler installed on the adapter:
adapter2.jpg

Working view:
muffler2.jpg

Looking good:
muffler.jpg

The MikesXS one for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if the EMGO is also very loud. A muffler needs volume (size) to quiet the exhaust. These just aren't big enough. My buddy had a set of the MikesXS ones he bought used from a guy on another 650 list. The guy sold them because they were too loud. After a couple seasons, my buddy did too for the very same reason. He has the Commandos now and is very satisfied. He bought them because he had seen and heard mine numerous times. Wonderful muffler for the 650, and probably just about any other bike you could fit it to.

Yeah, I've read a ton about the commandos being the "best" aftermarket for these bikes, but 27" is just too long. IMO, they'd look silly on my bike. Longer than stock? That's not necessary. They extend beyond the rear axel, which is just going to look wrong on my project. The 18-20" range would be perfect.

Cone Engineering makes some beautiful super quiet core reverse cones in SS, but they are $150/ea. I know, you pay for what you get, but I'm trying SO hard not to spend that much on a pair of mufflers.

- Adam

I ran the short cones from mikes. Loud and obnoxious at 5000 RPM on a long ride. I liked the look of the short better. The look not worth noise. I went with the commando this time. Really nice sounding mufflers.

Very surprising to me that there's nothing around 20" that sounds decent. That's about how long the stock special mufflers are, and they're quiet as heck. Bummer.

Performance is more important than sound . I have the Mike's 2 into 1 with the short (17 1/2" ) cone , sounds mean and does give you a little more top end if tuned properly, but you lose a little off the bottom end and mid range . I have heard that the commando system from Mike's ( with the big headers and commando mufflers ) is a good all round system and 27" is supposed to be the ideal length muffler for producing torque .

Yes, the stock headpipes really need to be changed out if you want to see some performance gains (not just noise) with an exhaust system change. Those stock double wall headpipes are tiny inside, barely 1.25".

Back