Xs wannabe owner w/honda vlx

tomykoz

"what dont kill me makes me stronger"
Reaction score
Well first off glad Berts ok...Gotta watch at any age for health warning signs.

Second here's my long drawn out story of how I brought a $675 1991 vlx honda back to life....The plugs about drove me nuts.

When I went to buy it it looked good...Seller said it runs but its been sitting since last year since he got 3 other bikes he rides....So I tried to start it but it would only fire up for a second or 2....That's all I needed to hear...So I bought it.

Now my whole day ordeal trying to change plugs:
.....Honda vlx's have 4 plugs(2 plugs per cylinder)...Two can easily be gotten to and 2 are recessed deep down in the head...No tool kit so I went to my local honda dealer.
He said here,you need this 16mm spark plug wrench,special to fit that vlx.

16mm socket took out the easy two....But I couldn't get the recessed ones out...Went on google and it said you need to get a deep well 18mm 12 point thin wall craftsman deep well..

Well...I figured Noway ...I got 16mm....SO... I started grinding my 16mm down....Figured since my other plugs were 16mm so were those......

Turns out after grinding ,pissin and moaning and scratching my head and trying to fit it on the plug for 3.5Hrs....I finally realized all my grinding was a waste of time because somebody put 16mm champion plugs on the easy holes and the recessed holes had the original 18mm plugs.....They probably couldn't get them out and some parts store gave them champions which had smaller size but.....NGK dpr7ea-9(18mm)cross references to a champion ra8hc(16mm)
....Go figure..

....Lesson #1....Never assume when buying a used bike the previous owner knows how to service them with the correct parts.

Day 2 after researching videos....I found a guy on YouTube (styles somebody)who said rip out the airbox and a bunch of hoses....So I did...Also made sure about what vacum hose holes i needed to leave open....About 10lbs worth garbage I didn't need.......I felt good about that since I like just a motor/a few wires and a frame look....Plus easy to trouble shoot.

This thing has a fuel pump and I'm thinking of eliminating that and just do gravity feed.

Anyway...Long story short....Removed and cleaned carbs with carb cleaner,jets were clogged bowls were spotless....Then I flushed and cleaned inside of tank....

...Put fresh gas and it runs like new.
....I'm gonna cut out exhaust baffles today....Guess I'm supposed to rejet....Go from 118 main to 122....And go from 40 pilot to 42.....But I may be too lazy to do it yet(should a did that while I had them out)

Here's some pics:
this is what the float bowl looked like before cleaning
IMG_20170309_144922.jpg

IMG_20170309_140823.jpg

IMG_20170308_133536.jpg

IMG_20170308_182259.jpg

IMG_20170306_181820.jpg

this last pic is what it looked like before i tore out that air box mess

Attachments

• IMG_20170308_182314.jpg
    IMG_20170308_182314.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20170308_182247.jpg
    IMG_20170308_182247.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Hey Tom. Wow, you can see the engine now! Looks like you made good progress. Hate it when PO's half-ass repairs. If you haven't done so, might want to reconsider cutting baffles for resale purposes. Anyway, keep plugging away and good luck with it.

HI bert!....i sure hope your doing well.....just eat better :)......heart attacks arent fun....but they arent the end either....they told me 3 years ago i could die any day because of my heart.....i refuse to die!.....i eat better(sometimes) and try and keep busy...you do the same buddy!

.....ya this things so quiet running i cant take it.....i dont wanna remove baffles but if i do decide to cut them out ill weld a metal cup on the end and make it so they will fit back in and attach with a screw.

but im getting beat up on here about some mods i wanna do just incase i may keep this bike in addition to finding an xs650 in late april(which is still my goal)

guys on here are telling me do not remove my air box!!!....says ill kill my engine,.....and even on the honda forum...1/2 say you can remove baffles and rejet /add some pods with no harm to motor and 1/2 say if i remove the air box and use pods and rejet im gonna ruin my engine...

and theres that guy TJ STYLES online who mods vlx hondas and other bikes who emailed me that the baffles and air box are just not needed and to put velocity stacks and rejet and my engine will last just as long if not longer..

so im lost.....dont know who to believe....i guess asking if its ok to remove baffles and air boxes is like asking whats the best religion:)

Last edited:
japanese motorcycle engineers that work for Honda and Yamaha put air boxes on engines for a reason....................because it makes the engines run really well. If you think you can improve on their way of doing things, then just throw out the air boxes and see how well your engine runs.

Yea, it's your call. These guys know a lot more than me, so I won't question their judgement. I guess you need to stop and think about whether you are going to keep this bike before you butcher it. If so, you only paid $650 for it, so do whatever you want! I don't imagine you will be riding it every day and night so engine will probably outlast both of us with pods. But, I know noting about that bike and/or the engine.
I understand you want to eliminate all that crap. However, if you intend to resell it, I wouldn't change a thing. Hard to find a buyer. Just put up with the silence and enjoy the wind and scenery until you pick up an XS. Still trying to find you one.

thanks bert....dont look too hard till end of april....wont have funds till then......if i do butcher it ill keep all the stock stuff in a box and convert it back before i sell it

japanese motorcycle engineers that work for Honda and Yamaha put air boxes on engines for a reason....................because it makes the engines run really well. If you think you can improve on their way of doing things, then just throw out the air boxes and see how well your engine runs.
i think they put it on because of EPA regulations......look at cars.....back in 1965 i could stand up inside the engine compartment of a chevy impalla to change the plugs...today your lucky to get an arm in there:)

I always keep stock air boxes, even on my '89 and '93 XV1100 V-twins. They have EPA crap all over. Only mods I ever do is maybe aftermarket pipes, but that's only if I need to replace original pipes. On the XV's no re-jetting is required, just a mixture screw adjustment. Stock air box's may restrict some air flow, but you don't have to screw with the hassle and guessing game of re-jetting. PO put pods on my '79 XS650, but I'll probably go back to stock air box. Again, it's you call. Just don't cut up and ruin those OEM pipes!

I always keep stock air boxes, even on my '89 and '93 XV1100 V-twins. They have EPA crap all over. Only mods I ever do is maybe aftermarket pipes, but that's only if I need to replace original pipes. On the XV's no re-jetting is required, just a mixture screw adjustment. Stock air box's may restrict some air flow, but you don't have to screw with the hassle and guessing game of re-jetting. PO put pods on my '79 XS650, but I'll probably go back to stock air box. Again, it's you call. Just don't cut up and ruin those OEM pipes!
ok......that seems to be the majority recommendation bert

Okay I have the upmost respect for all you guys that's why I come to this site even though I have a Honda I'm going to put back the stock stuff that I tore off leave my battles alone and live with it I may keep it or may sell it if you read if you read my other posts you'd see that I really wanted an XS 650 but that fell throug if you read my other post you'd see that I really wanted an XS650 but that fell through I screwed it up

.... most people on the Honda site said what you guys said what you guys said " should leave italone".....

I'll probably end up keeping this just for variety like five twins said it's like a couch with wheels....I agree.... not a whole lot fun to ride but different.....

But last thing I want to do is keep checking plugs and taking my carbs off and change and jets..... wOulda been nice if Honda put the airbox back under the seat somewhere and put all that wiring somewhere else ....what are you going to do..

.. when I ride a motorcycle I want to get shaken up and my ears blown off my head:)........... I know my wife doesn't like quiet bikes this one just hisses instead of having Rumble

you guys know better than me because you're more experienced at it... so I best listen to you all,sincerely,tom

Probably a smart move. You can always experiment with it later if you decide to keep it and can't stand the "hissing" any longer. If you leave it stock, it will be ready to unload quick if you need the $ to purchase and/or fix up you new XS!

Had a good friend who bought a brand new 1980 XS1100LG "Midnight Special". Gold and black with "black chrome" pipes. After he had it about a year, one night I was working on my boat in my garage and he had a "few too many". He took my body grinder and started cutting on his pipes to get some noise. Completely ruined them. OEM replacements were well over $1,000.00. Lot of $ in 1981. If I recall, he found a 4-1 black header somewhere instead. He never got over that screw-up!

i hear ya...im always yellin at my son to leave things stock,and if ya dont like it find something else stock that does what ya like....think id take my own advice.....anyway...its all back on and running better than ever....not even any chain noise or valve noise....smooth as can be,,,,,guess ill hiss around town on it awhile after the snow lets up here....intill then i bout wore out my hands scrubbing the engine case with sos pads to get it to shine like chrome....any easy engine shine up homemade brews?....got rust on the rims too...im gonna try coke pop on them tomorrow....gotta go baby sit grand kids with the wife....thx again all for the help,tom

Sounds like you will be "hissing in the wind"! Check site and other sites for case polishing tips. I bought bunch of pads for drill last year, but I haven't tried them yet.
As for chrome, a wad of aluminum foil dipped in water works miracles. I don't even use coke, just plain water. Coke is messy. It's is amazing. Won't remove pitting, but will remove rust from chrome. Aluminum foil is softer than chrome finish and will not scratch it. Heavy duty aluminum foil will last longer when you scrub. Try it.

Tom, not sure if your wheels are chrome, but the foil does work on chrome. Sometimes if rust is thick, I'll spay a little WD on first and let sit a while before using the foil and water. Scared to use deep penetrating oil. Not sure how that would work, but may be ok.

Back