Xs1-b speedometer rebuild.

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can a speedometer from an Xs1-b be disassembled and repaired? I need a good working speedometer at a reasonable price, but short of that, I may have to buy a broken unit and try to repair it. I can't see how they come apart. Thanks

Can a speedometer from an Xs1-b be disassembled and repaired? I need a good working speedometer at a reasonable price, but short of that, I may have to buy a broken unit and try to repair it. I can't see how they come apart. Thanks
Hot off the presses; on the 70 and 71 gauges only, the glass and black ring UNSCREW off the "chrome" plastic housing.
Look at the pics below the 70-71 have a thin bezel with a sharp outer edge. The 72-73 bezels are larger and more rounded, and the back needs to be pried off the housing like all the later gauge bezels.
Taint always EASY.... they are threaded together, with some sort of sealer in the threads. The good noews is that 50 years on the adhesive has dried out. With CAREFUL work it unthreads. Sitting on a vice the jaws lightly holding the back mount screws. My dear wife using rubber gloves to counter my twisting on the bezel with a rubber strap wrench. one hand on the wrench handle the other gripping the bezel and strap together.
KIMG3175.JPG
KIMG3182.JPG

KIMG3167.JPG
Made a thread cleaner out of a bolt to get rid of built up dried sealant. The thread on the back of the black bezel is in a narrow deep goove.
the threads are 1.00 pitch so a 6mm bolt has a matching profile.

KIMG3180.JPG
KIMG3181.JPG
The replacement faces from England are stiffer and have a better appearance compared to the less expensive US sourced pieces and are MUCH easier to install.

early speedo 70-71.jpg

A set of 72 gauges with the decal style faces before and after
KIMG3156.JPG
note the "thicker, rounded" bezels
KIMG3164.JPG

Last edited:
I just finished putting new faces on a set of XS2 gauges. I was worried about setting the new faces. My hands are not as steady as they used to be.
I found that 2.5mm round stock makes a very good guide when setting the new overlays.

1691868974140.png
1691869195376.png

Back