XS1 different original tank paint - white stripes

CPKID - I have never seen those covers slotted like this not on any of the XS1 broshure´s I´ve study.
Do you have pictures of your bikes made ready and assembled? It´s always nice to see XS1 pictures.
Is your bikes frame no low?

I forgot to tell that I also asked the seller on Ebay about the cylinder spacers - he didn´t answer that question.
But I have seen on original XS1 broschure´s that not all of the first XS1:s have those spacers. And Geoff Bamford´s brand new XS1 don´t have spacers.
(Pic attached).

redbug2 - It´s no question about the cylinder head, it´s replaced with a newer one, but the cylinder seems right and it would be
exciting to trace former owner down and ask him about it, if he replaced it, (or if it was the dealer in CT that sold it to me
on Ebay), I guess with that few miles on the speedo it should only have had one owner before???
It would be nice to have the hole documentation about this bike.

/Tom

Attachments

• 15587303.jpg
    15587303.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 198
Ok . There not ready , but here's some pics. I have to leave handle bars off to get them out of my basement . I have everything , but the emblems which I ordered from reproduction decals . I've been waiting over a month. I just threw the tank and side cover on . I have a matching tank for # 2. I intend to post the actual finished bike when I get it assembled and out of my basement .
Regards,
289638[/ATTACH]"]http://
eed1338f.jpg

Attachments

• eed1338f.jpg
    eed1338f.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 3
Vin s650-003267
S650-002237

Heres a picture of how one of them started out.

289644[/ATTACH]"]http://
d5bda700.jpg

Attachments

• d5bda700.jpg
    d5bda700.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
Here's how I got the one nearest completion. It's been a long process.
Regards,
CPKID

289646[/ATTACH]"]http://
08c03b5a.jpg

Attachments

• 08c03b5a.jpg
    08c03b5a.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 3
Ah! Great to see pictures of your restorations. To bring them back to original is not an easy job and it takes time, but I see you are really on the right track! Nice work!
Will be exciting to see them finished.

With that VIN numbers both engine should have needle bearings on the wrist pin!?

The last picture on the chopper seems to have a different green color or is it candy green? And it has that different white stripes on the tank.

Thanks for the pictures.

/Tom

Hi Tom,
No the original Bike that was chopped is more a Kelly green or a John Deere green. I'll keep it that color to save on the cost of painting # 2 The one restored is a true Candy Green one stripe. The camera or phone doesn't capture the color right . It looks great in person!!!!! I took an NOS ear to my paint guy . He matched it 100% . Just got my emblems today in the mail. Just need to get it out of the basement for final assembly and it's in my opinion 100% stock . I'll post picture soon. I have also been working on my RE5 Suzuki which I almost got running right . Neat bike .
Regards,
CPKID
289698[/ATTACH]"]http://
565f63ac.jpg

CPKID

Attachments

• 565f63ac.jpg
    565f63ac.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3
Finally I´ve got the bike! :thumbsup: It's really a true piece of history, all original except the cyl head. I don´t think the Ebay seller changed it, as on the pic it has a lot of dust on it (in the middle were it´s attached to the frame) so it has sure been there for a while.
The bike has been sold through an estate, I think, as the former owner on the title don´t live anymore, can maybe explain why it took such a long time to get it. The bike comes from Pennsylvania.

XS1120727.jpg

Reproduction shocks from from Mikes XS. There as close to stock as you can get . There of closures repainted .
Regards,
CPKID

I was hoping they were the repros, because I was going to ask . . . . how do they work? I mean they're not very expensive, considering, and I was thinking about buying a set.

Pete's,
I've got the reproductions from Mike's on my 70. They look the part, but if you want a really good shock look elsewhere. Sometimes I think they are spring only. But if I did another XS1 I would buy them again. They are just okay for restorations.
I hope that helps.

Hi Pete,

Have yet to ride the bike. I agree with Yamasaurus . It's just for show .
Regards,
Dave

I ride little. I just got a new '79 F. I don't care for the shocks on it ( Redwing ) and like the covered versions. Wen I did my Brit bike, I used Triumph repros and they work fine.

Have seen XS1 with different original paint on the tank (the white color stripes are different).
Someone who knows anything about it?

Those are the XS1 from 1970 :bike:

I know that this is an old post but I will answer anyway. 1 Yes that is a 1970 and Candy Green is the Only color for that year. When I get home this evening I will look at the Cover of the 2 Cycle World or whatever magazines that I bought 4 months ago. One is from March 1970 and the other is from May I think. That should be an accurate assessment of which of those two has the correct stripes. I kind of hope that the one on the right is the correct color because it looks better than the one on the left. I have to paint mine this spring so I will be studying this more closely. I want my paint as correct as possible but after wanting one for 30 years and finally getting one I am about sick of looking at the bluish green. The Darker one definitely looks better.

Some XS1 Brochures for your perusal. Give it a few seconds to download..

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Thanks for the links Skull. always nice to have more pics to reference. So just for reference, The Cycle World 1970 March issue and the Cycle magazine May 1970 issue both show the single stripe at the top. Also both bikes have no turn signals as is the case with mine.
My bike was painted 2 times after original and I was not thinking about looking for a stripe pattern when I stripped it BUT it is an early bike s/n is S650002631. Engine matches frame and head and forks are correct. Head bearings were already upgraded so i will leave them and the alternator was replaced with a 220 watt whatever unit that seems better so I will leave it alone as well with its accompanying solid state.
I had to pay too much for a correct chain-guard and Way too much for a Front fender with some chrome speckeling at the rear but i am glad to have them as they look good at 6 feet away.
I just wish I could settle on a Color "Any suggestions". I like the deeper greens but the bluer one is correct. Not gonna make that much difference in the value as it will be a repaint so I might as well have a green that I like but not too far off. Marbles Motors was at Barbers swap meet and said that they forgot to bring their Candy green but there is none on their website. There was another site that offered a match but I lost the email. Let me know what you think and Thank You.

Back