XS1 Exhaust replacement

Zeus87

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my exhaust on my factory stock 1970 XS1. The bike was a barn find, all original. I just got it running, but the exhaust is shot. I want to do the stainless route, anyone purchase a set from mikesxs or 650central? also what muffler choice should i go with? I want to keep the 2-2 setup and i want a deep "factory" like sound, nothing that creates the sport bike whine. Thanks!

I'm running the early style replacement headers with the Dunstall Replica, peashooter or reverse cone style (whatever the hell they're called) mufflers. Not sure of their origin as I got them used, but-damn good setup. Sound great and the performance is excellent! No whine and no br'a'a'a'a't! I do run them long, a few inches past the rear axle. When these wear out I'll replace with the same.

Mike's exhaust system's are pretty good, for the money. I am currently running his 2-1 header with the shorty muffler. Not bad in the loud area, either. But if your looking for real stainless, you can't beat Gordon Scott's system's. And the price's are not bad at all. Look in the member's list for his e-mail address. He make's them one at a time, but is very quick, and the pipe's are awesome!

I take it then you've decided not to stay original with that factory stock 1970 XS1.
If you are you might want to look into having your original exhaust refurbished and rechromed.
There are some chrome shops that can do wonders and it may be cheaper than having custom ones done.
You could get some cheap aftermarkets to use while the work is being done or saving up to have it done.

Sport bike whine????? :doh: the only thing that makes that sound is a flat plane inline 4 cylinder......These bikes are twins....alot of exhausts should sound pretty good.

I emailed Gordon to see what he has for options, as what i found on his page is nothing of interest.

I was planning on ordering the stainless head pipes, with the exhaust torque inserts along with the XS performance reverse cone mufflers. I have included part #'s here for reference. P.s. I've never dealt with 650central or mikesxs before, I notice they have the same parts.. any suggestions?

I would love to restore them, I think they are shot though... huge rot spots in the mufflers, and mufflers.

Thanks again!

Part #07-0114
Part #07-0758
Part #07-0769

2 into ones can be a bit "buzzy" without a quiet muffler. The sound reminds me of those honda ricer cars with fart can exhaust tips.

Mike's exhaust system's are pretty good, for the money. I am currently running his 2-1 header with the shorty muffler. Not bad in the loud area, either. But if your looking for real stainless, you can't beat Gordon Scott's system's. And the price's are not bad at all. Look in the member's list for his e-mail address. He make's them one at a time, but is very quick, and the pipe's are awesome!
Thanks for the compliment Gordo :) But I'm not very quick right now :banghead: I'm booked 4-6 weeks out!

I emailed Gordon to see what he has for options, as what i found on his page is nothing of interest.
No one ever looks in my album here :shrug: http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/245/ Anyway I'm booked solid for 4-6 weeks right now :yikes: you might be better off going with the Mikes setup you listed or his original replacement style would be better for that bike since you said you would love to restore the pipes :thumbsup:

Aah, the sweet smell of success. Glad you are busy, guess that's what happens with a quality product. I have seen some of your work, and I gotta give them a thumb's up- way up.
Zeus, FYI, the stock head pipes(factory) are double pipe, if you did not know.So as G. Scott suggested, and Jayel, a set of aftermarket pipe's would be nice. MMM (650 Central) does have really good quality stuff, and you talk to him directly when you call. If you haven't been on his site yet, give it a read, esp. about his background, I think you'll be impressed. He is a bit more for price's, but, like I just stated, you talk to HIM. Mike LaLonde( Mike's XS) has allot of thing's, and I bought his pipe's and muffler's because of him on the east coast, and I didn't have a whole lot of money at the time.But that was 5 years ago,3 on the 2-1 pipe. Also, aftermarket are not double pipe, so some bluing doe's occur.

Aah, the sweet smell of success. Glad you are busy, guess that's what happens with a quality product. I have seen some of your work, and I gotta give them a thumb's up- way up.
Zeus, FYI, the stock head pipes(factory) are double pipe, if you did not know.So as G. Scott suggested, and Jayel, a set of aftermarket pipe's would be nice. MMM (650 Central) does have really good quality stuff, and you talk to him directly when you call. If you haven't been on his site yet, give it a read, esp. about his background, I think you'll be impressed. He is a bit more for price's, but, like I just stated, you talk to HIM. Mike LaLonde( Mike's XS) has allot of thing's, and I bought his pipe's and muffler's because of him on the east coast, and I didn't have a whole lot of money at the time.But that was 5 years ago,3 on the 2-1 pipe. Also, aftermarket are not double pipe, so some bluing doe's occur.

Right on about the bluing.

I bought the "complete replica 70-73 exhaust syst." from XS650direct (MikeXS in Canada). It looks almost exactly like the stock one but I can't tell you more about it since I don't install it on my bike yet. I'll be able to tell you more when my bike will be completed.

Well I don't think I want to go the 1 3/4in route after reading about it. I think I'm going to order the replica chrome headpipes and the commando muffler. What do you think? Anyone running that setup?

Alright, well I ordered the replica headers and commando mufflers from mikesxs.com. what do you think about jetting? Running factory everything.. thanks

You should be alright with the stock jetting.What you'll need to do is run 'er out on the open road to see how well she run's, then go from there. You won't really know anything until you run it, whether your rich or lean, mid range, top end. As long as the carb's are really clean, you should not have any problem's starting and running.

i'm running the commando mufflers on my stock head pipes (1.58 OD). they got some noise to em for sure but not until the higher RPMs. i do wish they were a little more throaty on idle though. i have stock jetting and the plugs are burning just fine (1977 650D).

Just got in from a 15 mile loop, I think you'll be pleased with your purchase.
pa23driver is running the stock headers that are double walled, may be the reason for the anemic sounding idle.
I got my setup from my mentor for some cash and a front wheel from an '82 H.S. I'm sooo pleased that I sent him the 48 spoke rear wheel to match. Heck, what are friends for?

Back