Wanted - XS1 Head

Jim ,how U doing? Im gonna start that "follow along engine build soon I promiss lol,
Is the head no usuable with the guys rocker box? I dont want to sell something he cant use,
with the 447 heads I have mixed and matched rockerboxes before

Do you have the rocker box to go with either head? I should of said I wanted complete cylinder head assembly

Daniel, I would suggest you snatch this head up,if not just for porting purposes that you can apply when porting the 477 intakes.
It'll be a crap shoot trying to find a top cap to fit but it can be done, The intakes on theses heads flow exceptionally well with minimal effort

I guess Ive just been lucky, Ive allwayas heard they where bored together, but with everything I hear I dont belive it until I see it with my own eyes, and I have mixed rockers with heads and I didnt just do it blindly, I would tourque it down with no bearings and see if there was any offset where the surfaces meet at the bearing location, and so far Ive had them be ok, ive never tried putting a 447 rocker on a xs1 head thou, im gonna go do that right now out of curiousity... stay tuned photos to follow

Daniel, I would suggest you snatch this head up,if not just for porting purposes that you can apply when porting the 477 intakes.
It'll be a crap shoot trying to find a top cap to fit but it can be done, The intakes on theses heads flow exceptionally well with minimal effort

I think I will, a little concerned over the lack of matching rocker box but it’s worth the punt I reckon.
When am I going to come across an XS1 head anytime soon?

ok so check this out guys, out of curiosity I went out to the shop and put the nasyest rocker box i had out of a box of them on the xs1 head, the surfaces where the bearing sit was baby but smooth and no step whatsoever, and even crazyier is that the surface where all the valve covers go is also completely flat, as if this head and rocker box was made together, the crazy part is this is a 447 rocker and a xs1 head, the ony thing that wouldnt work but could be made to work is the left hand exhaust vale cover has 4 botls on the 447 and 3 on the xs1, but I am still amazed at the perfect fit not only at the bearings but at all the valve cover sealing surfaces too
head15.jpg
head14.jpg
head13.jpg
head12.jpg
head11.jpg

upon further inspection, even the inside of the holes where the valve covers go is all lined up perfect, I cant understand how yamaha could have gotton this so perfect even in this bastrdised version i have put together with a xs1 head and 447 rocker, its kinda blowing my mind

thats the way it looked right off the engine just some brake clean and a wipe with a paper towell in the cumbustion chamber.

whats a 553?
I thought xs1 xsb was 256 and then xs650 was 447???

full disclosure bewarethemoon, you did knowtice that it has the tinny little top fin missing?

thats the way it looked right off the engine just some brake clean and a wipe with a paper towell in the cumbustion chamber.

whats a 553?

553 is the European models? With longer con rods? I’m fairly confident I’m right there?

full disclosure bewarethemoon, you did knowtice that it has the tinny little top fin missing?

I did yes, I’ll probably look into fixing that as I’m a sucker for punishment!

I can definitely be a little ‘OCD’ when it comes to these things, I’m sure I’ve seen somebody do similar on here

whats a 553?
Yamaha produced three engines with different rod ratios with 533 having the longest rod 140mm.

wow learn somethin new every day, so EU only was a 553? did it have the large wrist pin or the 447 wrist pin?

well daniel, I can fix it for you, I have a tig welder, and I have a junk head I can break the top fins off and weld in place, I am also ocd and I can make it look like it never happened, but my fab rate is 65 an hour, I dont know if thats interesting to you,??

I havent torn that other motor down yet, (the other head), and now im not sure it has 3 bolts on the left exhaust cover either

Back