xs1b fork tube length

barry g

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi can any body tell me the correct length of a standard 1971 xs1b fork tube i live in scotland uk and bought a second hand pair from a breakers but they came extended like 31 inch,s long (the fork tubes only please) and are no good to use i tryed to find new standard but no luck and they have the bushes on the bottom which yamaha dont seem to have giving a part number .i have however managed to pick up 4 brand new mint old stock 31 inch tubes which i plan to get machined to size if i can find the correct standard xs1b size cheers barry

Hope these help, I get 22 3/4"

xs1 tubes 001.JPG xs1 tubes 002.JPG

xs1 tubes 003.JPG xs1 tubes 004.JPG

This is an "extra" set of tubes I got with a 71 and a set of new tubes from forks by frank ordered to fit the XS1, XS1B

fork tube tubes length size pictures ends correct forking

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

thank you kindly big help that makes my tubes 8 " overs the forks on mine have a bush on the bottom which is held by a kind of snap ring where as yours looks like theres a pin go,s through same as the new sets i bought. i tryed to get a message to franks forks a number of times but never ever replied .the snap ring stop futher up matches yours my tubes have a name on you might know dixie international company columbus ohio . i take it im right in saying yamaha never made a replacement bottom fork bush you had to buy the full tube?????

Don't know about the bushes. Haven't pulled a set of early forks down yet but I need to do a set or 3 this winter. I had no problem reaching franks about a year ago when I ordered those tubes, I phoned during business hours..... Frank is dead, his widow runs the business. I haven't heard of dixie international company.

thanks for your help its been great lets me move on to next bit the fork i bought of ebay they have a few sets for sale if you print item number 310895082568 on ebay search you will see they have mine plus longer my god as for franks it was emails i tryed many times but no replys however after what you told me ive total respect for his wife taken on the task again many thanks for your help and by the way ive found and bought a brand new bottom stem on ebay 1970 -1971 of coarse cheers barry ps the bushes are made of steel

Attachments

• 71-XS1F-FrontFork01.jpg
    71-XS1F-FrontFork01.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 71-XS1F-FrontFork02.jpg
    71-XS1F-FrontFork02.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 71-XS1F-FrontFork03.jpg
    71-XS1F-FrontFork03.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 241
many many thanks for that can see this sites better than a manual all the info i need there , im going for all new parts inside the forks bushes etc to try and avoid leaks from the start ,managed to get alot of new parts from ebay and sport and speed inc very good and helpfull

the info given has been great because here in the uk xs1 was not imported we had to wait till 1972 for the xs2 so most parts and info come from usa for me. im now getting my forks machined to standard but my next problems arrived its that bottom fork bush which has no part number as it comes with the new tube from yamaha which is unavailable . so can anyone help me here is there any body making these as there must be more than me needing these??????? cheers barry

thanks for your replys if forking by franks supplys the forks do they sell the bushes by them selfs or do they come with the new forks only .failing that if ive to machine some what metal is the best for the job the yamaha bushes appear to be made of steel ???? the forks i bought second hand for my project xs1b came from usa and were aftermarket 31" and the bushes also made of steel are not the same as the yamaha fit as they are held on the bottom by a circlip what are the genuine bushes held on to the forks by

Man, stretching my memory here. I seem to recall the bottom steel bush being retained by 2 short riveted pins. With today's advances in materials, may want to look into modern low-friction coatings, and reduce future wear on those rare lowers...

My forks have a split bush onthe bottom of the stantion which is not shown on the parts list but look on CMS website and type in this reference 1H32312500 think these are the ones but best measure yours first then ask them look on my post just under yours have pic of my internals that no one can recognise as xs 650's

Last edited:
many thanks for that i did manage to find that link later but they are like you said for the later type forks, im still thinking along the lines you suggested and getting some made up with a better kinder low friction when i find the right stuff again many thanks . im sure there must be more than me needing these bottom bushes????????

Back