xs2 - blinkers work till I turn on the headlight...

DougXS2

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
where do I start with this? I'm guessing maybe in the switch pod on the handlebar or?

both work fine individually, but once the headlight is switched on, either side will blink once, then stay light without blinking...

thanks.

low battery voltage, switching the flasher to a new electronic type will help but I'll bet if you load test your battery you'll find that it's on its way out, put a meter on the battery and watch the voltage reading as you use turn with and without headlight on

its new, but could likely be run down. its been sitting for a couple of weeks. will check. thanks.

whats involved in switching the flasher. currently it sounds loud and mechanical and blinks slowly....(yet bright).

a standard flasher work by heating (through resistance) a bi-metallic strip between a set of points, it's a mechanical relay, that's the click you hear, a electronic flasher uses a transistor circuit to switch the relay so it's not dependant on the resistance of the total circuit, go to a good auto supply and the should have a generic 12v 2 prong electronic flasher or just google electronic flasher and find what you like on line

Does it act the same with the engine running at a little above idle speed? This will give you good voltage for the test.
On your XS2 the turn signal flasher has three prongs. ONe power in, one power out, the other ground. When you plug in the new flasher just be sure the new one plugs in where the brown and brown/white wires are. Ignore the third wire.
You flasher will be mounted under the tank or on the rear fender behind the battery.
Leo

Does it act the same with the engine running at a little above idle speed? This will give you good voltage for the test.
On your XS2 the turn signal flasher has three prongs. ONe power in, one power out, the other ground. When you plug in the new flasher just be sure the new one plugs in where the brown and brown/white wires are. Ignore the third wire.
You flasher will be mounted under the tank or on the rear fender behind the battery.
Leo

Yes try this my blinker did the same when I was trying to wire it and I was having the hardest time getting it to work. Try them with the bike running to see if they will flash correctly.

Back