XS2 Decompressor Setting

Ravensmoor Bob

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Many of you with an XS2 will know that the starter lever on the throttle side also acts as a decompressor when actuated to start the engine. I need to re establish the setting on my bike is there any special procedure or measurements when adjusting the cable? Thanks Bob

Hi ,I put mine back on last weekend after doing a top end rebuild and couldn't get it to work again ,it was ok before so I couldn't figure out what was wrong,I finally figured it out to the lever inside the cover,it seems it needs to be in a vertical position when you replace the valve cover so when you pull the lever it compresses the valve and connects the starter ,hope this makes sense it took me a couple of tries to get it on right .The cable I just adjusted it until there was just a little play in it similar to a clutch cable.

I poured thru all my '256/306/366' 70-73 docs last night and, amazingly, could find NO adjustment/settings documentation.

The only thing I can think of that makes sense is to adjust it so that the exhaust valve is depressed before the starter switch makes contact...

Back