XS2 Rustoration Build

Two pistons. One on each side.

I can't remember the answer to your lever question and I don't have one here.

I used a grease gun attached to the bleeder in order to get the one piston out... I'll be damned if I can figure out a way to remove the other. Any ideas?

I used a grease gun attached to the bleeder in order to get the one piston out... I'll be damned if I can figure out a way to remove the other. Any ideas?
Reinstall the removed piston... once it's cleaned up enough to easily remove by hand. Hold it in place with a C clamp, vise... 2 pieces of wood and 2 clamps... whatever it takes, then go at it with the grease gun again 'till the other one gives up.

Reinstall the removed piston... once it's cleaned up enough to easily remove by hand. Hold it in place with a C clamp, vise... 2 pieces of wood and 2 clamps... whatever it takes, then go at it with the grease gun again 'till the other one gives up.

I assume that you want me to bolt the two halves together first. Sounds like a plan.... and I just got done cleaning up all of the grease mess...Geeezzz!

I have always used air pressure. You have to be careful doing it, because that puck can come flying outa there. I turn it open side down on the work bench and push down pretty hard then hit it with compressed air. Sometimes you gotta stop and tap on the puck a little to free it up, but for me they’ve always come out that way.
491C1B1B-2A22-4C12-830C-FA5C5159A645.jpeg

There are ways and means to remove seized pistons. If the grease gun fails your in trouble.

Attachments

• 88C3BE26-E246-4401-B128-2D38C0E9A168.jpeg
    88C3BE26-E246-4401-B128-2D38C0E9A168.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DC2653B5-C00F-4E7C-ABC1-21282E11FBD4.jpeg
    DC2653B5-C00F-4E7C-ABC1-21282E11FBD4.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 155
  • 756CD61A-B7D2-4986-B38E-4CA2D63F340A.jpeg
    756CD61A-B7D2-4986-B38E-4CA2D63F340A.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 157
Rasputin,

If I follow you... Bolt a blank piece of metal to block the 'transfer port/hole' and apply grease gun. Got it!

Thanks
Exactly that. One side can be pushed out with an adaptor into the brake pipe union hole using a grease gun with the calliper in one piece.
Depends which one gives, if the blind side is stuck and you split the calliper, a piece of flat bar with holes drilled for the bolts and centre one for a grease nipple, usually will come out. There can be a lot of pressure built up with a grease gun. Messy but effective.

Exactly that. One side can be pushed out with an adaptor into the brake pipe union hole using a grease gun with the calliper in one piece.
Depends which one gives, if the blind side is stuck and you split the calliper, a piece of flat bar with holes drilled for the bolts and centre one for a grease nipple, usually will come out. There can be a lot of pressure built up with a grease gun. Messy but effective.

I was going to tackle the caliper yesterday but the parts that I have been waiting for finally came in. I really do not like to get too involved ($$$) with a project until I see the bike run. I am happy to say that with new Coils, Points and Plugs the bike runs without any smoke. I will let you know the outcome of the caliper situation. Thanks for the tip!

This thread will be documenting the build of a 1972 XS650.

I purchased the bike from the second owner who had it laying up against the back of his garage under a tarp. He bought it from the original owner who had it laying on its side, in the weeds, for over a decade. Needless to say the bike is a real mess.... and a real challenge!

Over the next couple of weeks I hope to illustrate my method of bringing this bike back from the dead. First... here is my shop:View attachment 180639

Sorry but I do not have pictures of when I collected the bike... I had already started to clean it up prior to the decision to create this build thread.
View attachment 180640 View attachment 180642

The bike was missing the seat, both side covers and the right side muffler. The left side had to be trashed anyway. I did get the chrome seat hoop and the bottom chrome piece that holds on the seat cover.View attachment 180643
I stripped the gas tank of its paint and addressed the several rust areas. The inside of the tank had a lot of rust and gas varnish which was mitigated using a gel type toilet bowl cleaner... worked great!

View attachment 180644

After cleaning the inside of the tank I sealed it with Caswell Tank Sealer. I have used this product before and it is the best that I have found. It comes in several colors that comes in handy if you are covering up some of the remaining rust in the tank.

I am currently waiting for parts... new solenoid, rubber foot pegs, battery basket, oil filter, etc.
That one looked like mine.
Good luck.
Bill

Just a minor update and a question:

As I mentioned before; I got a 22 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner for Christmas and have already put it to good use. Here are a couple of uninteresting photos:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20c8.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20c9.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20cc.jpg

I used Simple Green and water (increased solution height after pic was taken) with some success. The carb body came out a little dull but a quick wipe of some Marvel's brought the shine back. I apologize for not having any before pics... but trust me these babies were filthy!

Once I put them all back together the bike started on the first kick and ran great. I had a smile on my face the entire day!

Now for the question:

I can not seem to find the spec on what drive chain to purchase? Is it a 530 or 520 chain? How many links?

'Thanks'

Just a minor update and a question:

As I mentioned before; I got a 22 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner for Christmas and have already put it to good use. Here are a couple of uninteresting photos:View attachment 182007View attachment 182008View attachment 182009

I used Simple Green and water (increased solution height after pic was taken) with some success. The carb body came out a little dull but a quick wipe of some Marvel's brought the shine back. I apologize for not having any before pics... but trust me these babies were filthy!

Once I put them all back together the bike started on the first kick and ran great. I had a smile on my face the entire day!

Now for the question:

I can not seem to find the spec on what drive chain to purchase? Is it a 530 or 520 chain? How many links?

'Thanks'
530. Mine was 105 links.

Back