XS650 Adventure Bike?

Or a simple change of tyres, Handlebar, seat mod, beefed the swingarm and add some kneepads........looks the part.
StevenHolland004.jpg
StevenHolland005.jpg

Same bike, diferent Tank ...........Add dirt

SteveS01.jpg

A very nicely executed one at that. The emulation of the DT's muffler is what really does it, in conjunction with what appears to be an original DT tank. Love it!
It does seem to me that there is far too much unsprung weight in front brakes in that thing. I think it’s nearing 20 lbs of brakes.

1697732378963.png

Looks like actual knobby territory to me..........above photo wasn't captioned, but I assume this is the "deep sand" somewhere north of Black River:shrug:

Last edited:
Wisconsin has a North/South Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail. It is informal, but a documented route of gravel, dirt, back country roads. It is documented here. It exists roughly half way between my home in Sheboygan and my son Ben's home in Mankato. The route looks fun. The Red Bike is not an ideal canditate for gravel roads in a touring capacity.View attachment 253531 However, me having only 2 running bikes, that leaves the Blue Tracker.View attachment 253532Someone tell me I am being foolish. I fit trials or adventure touring tires, refit tracker or motocross bars and have the seat recovered with an extra inch of dense foam to make the tracker a more (more, not most) appropriate mount. I cannot take a lot more weight out of the blue bike with out a tank change and charging system conversion
Trans
Wisconsin has a North/South Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail. It is informal, but a documented route of gravel, dirt, back country roads. It is documented here. It exists roughly half way between my home in Sheboygan and my son Ben's home in Mankato. The route looks fun. The Red Bike is not an ideal canditate for gravel roads in a touring capacity.View attachment 253531 However, me having only 2 running bikes, that leaves the Blue Tracker.View attachment 253532Someone tell me I am being foolish. I fit trials or adventure touring tires, refit tracker or motocross bars and have the seat recovered with an extra inch of dense foam to make the tracker a more (more, not most) appropriate mount. I cannot take a lot more weight out of the blue bike with out a tank change and charging system conversion
Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail (TWAT). I'm still an 8 year old sometimes.

No Idea if you can get these where you are but am looking at these for my next set of tyres for the DL. Good gravel/soft and hard terrain. Meant to be a 30% road tyre but...........????..............Front could be better but the rear lasts...............Read the review for your self

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motoz-tractionator-adventure-tires-review/

Just as another distraction, on the Shadetree Surgeon YouTube channel, Josh turned a 2nd generation GoldWing into a dirt bike dubbed the Dung Beetle. Traxxion Dynamics modded a Sportster front end for it. Follow up videos show him drag racing in the dirt and participating in hill climbs. XS650? A piece of cake!

Back