XS650 Adventure Bike?

Mainly pointed them out when sand was mentioned. If a few trips incorperating off road rides were in the future, maybe get another set of wheels for those trips. Stored properly the tyres will not perish.

Mainly pointed them out when sand was mentioned. If a few trips incorperating off road rides were in the future, maybe get another set of wheels for those trips. Stored properly the tyres will not perish.
My 750 cc Tracker, many or most have seen pictures, 2023 calender etc, has become a pretty real rounded bike. I have riden it in three Yamaha650Society rallies where we run 100-150 miles to lunch and the same by a different route after lunch. But... running the Red Bike in the fall Rally in the Smokies was more enjoyable, even with less power. So the Tracker becomes a power amusement or I take it in a slightly different direction. That said, I think I may go to some slightly off road competent (gravel roads and no more) tires, a few other mods and see what expanded horizons bring. I see my son @Ben1 not often enough and if we can do interesting riding (him waiting for me at each intersection) a few $ in tires and other items will matter little. I have a set of mx bars to try and a plan to move pegs back and down to be more under my body with out cramping my riding position. All experiments for an adventure.

I'm searching for trials or adventure tires that fit as a matched pair. All I have found are K70s.
I had Shinko SR244 tires on my XT 350. They are available in 18's and 19's. OK on pavement and gravel/dirt mixed. On pavement you can feel the tread blocks squirm when ridden aggressively. Almost all my riding is on pavement, so when I swapped them out for a set on Michelin Pilot Sports, it transformed the bike. You've seen pics of the XT; it has supermoto mods (USD fork, 17's), which make it much more of a pavement bike than was originally intended.

My 750 cc Tracker, many or most have seen pictures, 2023 calender etc, has become a pretty real rounded bike. I have riden it in three Yamaha650Society rallies where we run 100-150 miles to lunch and the same by a different route after lunch. But... running the Red Bike in the fall Rally in the Smokies was more enjoyable, even with less power. So the Tracker becomes a power amusement or I take it in a slightly different direction. That said, I think I may go to some slightly off road competent (gravel roads and no more) tires, a few other mods and see what expanded horizons bring. I see my son @Ben1 not often enough and if we can do interesting riding (him waiting for me at each intersection) a few $ in tires and other items will matter little. I have a set of mx bars to try and a plan to move pegs back and down to be more under my body with out cramping my riding position. All experiments for an adventure.

No, I don't recall seeing any pics of your bikes

Could you post some we love pics on this site, almost compolsery in fact

Sure...
16601540535256189282802607517900 (1).jpg

My rearsets showed up today. It seems I can mount the left on the right, upside down, (and vice versa) and my pegs will move back 5 inches and down 1-2 inches. The clearance on the tracker pipes seems a non issue. Shorten the link rods and it seems (?) a non issue. This is not an offroad or dual purpose endeavor, merely a fire road capable (at my relaxed pace) bike to enjoy back country gravel roads while following my ex-motocross racer son.

Last edited:
My rearsets showed up today. It seems I can mount the left on the right, upside down, (and vice versa) and my pegs will move back 5 inches and down 1-2 inches. The clearance on the tracker pipes seems a non issue. Shorten the link rods and it seems (?) a non issue. This is not an offroad or dual purpose endeavor, merely a fire road capable (at my relaxed pace) bike to enjoy back country gravel roads while following my ex-motocross racer son.
Not gonna hot rod on this trip old man, if I slip now a days, I need to do a system check before I sit back up so I don't do more damage 😁

My rear sets arrived and I did some quick fitting. It is a really nice bit of kit. A classified advertiser here offers them and I am very satisfied with the kit. But a little far back for my purpose. My thought was to reverse the mount. It sets the pegs almost perfectly but reversing the mount interferes with the brake accuator shaft. I think I can cut a section off the interfering plate, drill a new peg mount hole and call it good. The brake linkage might be a little short to incorporate the heim joints supplied but we will tackle that, This thread is maybe mislabled. This will be a casual "fireroad bike" and not a full on adventure bike.
20231104_122214[1].jpg
20231104_122219[1].jpg

Last edited:
My rear sets arrived and I did some quick fitting. It is a really nice bit of kit. A classified advertiser here offers them and I am very satisfied with the kit. But a little far back for my purpose. My thought was to reverse the mount. It sets the pegs almost perfectly but reversing the mount interferes with the brake accuator shaft. I think I can cut a section off the interfering plate, drill a new peg mount hole and call it good. The brake linkage might be a little short to incorporate the heim joints supplied but we will tackle that, This thread is maybe mislabled. This will be a casual "fireroad bike" and not a full on adventure bike.View attachment 254668View attachment 254667
I was about to order a set before I stored my bike but thought I’ll wait until next year. They look like a really nice setup and good value too. I think for my old body, they might be a bit too far back. We’ll see how limber I feel next spring. Look great on your bike👍

Back