XS650 Aftermarket Wheels

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I been asked this question many times so I figured I would share this info so that builders are going into right direction.
Many of my builds I have changed to aftermarket wheels so that I could have SPOKE DISK BRAKES front and back. Better stopping power for your XS 650
I was able to go up to a 5" wide rim on the rear and not offset sprocket but most I used where 4" wide wheels. I used a set of FAT SPOKE wheels on a build and it did take a couple tire changes (size) and a little tweek on the frame to get it centered . Now when you go to aftermarket wheels you got to remember the axle size. These wheels are 3/4 " AXLE and your stock XS 650 is 20mm. What I do on builds is order the 3/4" axle plates separate and then I can use a UNIVERSAL HARD TAIL KIT or just cut off the 20mm ones and install 3/4" ones. Sounds like a lot of work but the finished out come is great. I have seen frame with 20mm grinded but you are dealing with a axle that has to track straight.
The aftermarket wheels I buy are online and there are many company' s that sell these wheels NEW at a good price or there are some really good deals on used ones too. If you want names of places I buy from you have to email me because I am not going to give them advertisement on here:laugh:
Now the fronts are easy if you go to a different wheel and front end. Most 1998 and up SPORTSTER front ends go onto a xs 650 frame with minimal effort and you can get 19"-21"-23" wheels. Again AXLE SIZE-BRAKES-DISK are all easy to get and setup.
Both pictures of these bikes are AFTERMARKET 18" rear and 21" front. White frame bike wheel lined right up. Fat Spoke had to open rear frame section 1/2"
Anyone who need to talk or pick my brain contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
THANKS AND KEEP CHOPPIN:thumbsup:
Rich

Attachments

• 100_0855.jpg
    100_0855.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 2,251
  • 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 1,330
  • $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 936
  • xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,641
What your saying is there are no XS650 after market wheels. You modify your XS650's to use Harley aftermarket wheels.
Leo

I never seen any one piece aftermarket wheel setup for a XS650 AXLE. There are rims that you have to relace to stock hubs. But if you don't want to run drum brakes this is the best and reasonable priced way that I have done it. You could find Kawasaki-Suzuki- Yamaha- Honda newer bikes and maybe try those. Over the years this was just the easy way to go to upgrade the XS650. I know there are Harley hatters out there but it works fine.
Invader wheels were used on CB750 bikes back in the day but I also had them on Kawasaki bike too.
It all comes down to LOOK- PRICE- AXLE SIZE- CUSTOMER WANTS
Here is a KAW CHOPPER with GSXR wheels and Front End so anything is possible to get the look .
KEEP CHOPPIN:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 650KZ.jpg
    650KZ.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 518
Now if only some one would find a straight swap for wire for a suzuki marauder, you'de be my hero! I hate cast rims.
My 79 standard wire fit my bill. Just a little powder, some cadmium spokes, polished hubs, no weights.....A little narrow though.

I did custom a Suzuki 1500 for a guy. Changed lights with internal turn signals and made pipes. Got this bike in 10 boxes a friend of his took it apart and couldn't get it back together. I normally don't take jobs like it but there was a challenge and turned out good except for a tiny oil leak. You have to pull the motors on these bikes to do any motor work it SUCKS.
I think a nice set of FAT SPOKES would look good. The shaft is the problem but I have seen some nice wheels on shaft bikes from AFTERHOURBIKES out of FL.

Attachments

• 2014-05-05 13.56.45.jpg
    2014-05-05 13.56.45.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 272
- - - I hate cast rims. - - -

Hi angus,
yes, wire wheels are prettier than cast wheels but comparing the hassle involved in fixing a tube tire flat at the kerbside to squirting fixaflat into a tubeless to get home, I have learned to love the bastards.

I don't think there is anything wrong with mag's. Its just too many factory company's never put the extra in them to look good. Older bikes HONDA KAWASAKI SUZUKI YAMAHA the Mag wheels were ugly and on some very soft metal. Changing a tire in a machine and you had to watch not to break off the edge of the rim. I paid for some myself and tire machine was a good one. Take a XS 650 mag put some holes in it and it looks better. For you guys who don't know there are some spoke wheels out there that are tubeless and work. DNA FAT SPOKES are tubeless. This bike with FAT SPOKES rode tubeless. It comes down to what you like and yes I have been broke down on the :Dside of the rode with a flat on BOTH

Attachments

• $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 371
Back