XS650 Battery loses charge overnight, After recharge cannot stay running

Ah Damn! I didn't measure to the top of the bulb. So if I am low say ~17mm, do I really bend that tang up even more!?

Hi Dylan,
No! No! No! you don't bend it more you bend it less
You straighten the bastard out again and hope it don't break off!
When the floats are set correctly the little tang in the middle that touches the float needle should be parallel to the rest of the tang and mebbe a millimeter below it.
That's below with the carb upside down.
Like 5twin's photo shows.
And you ask where the slow running needles are?
In a vertical cylindrical part of the main body casting, on top, nearest to the engine.
Check if the EPA-mandated anti-tampering plugs are still atop of them.
If so the needles and their associated passages ain't been cleaned since the bike left the factory.

oops db post ...scratches head

Last edited:
your tangs need to be near horizontal otherwise they will exert a lateral pressure on your needle valves which will have a tendancy to drag on the side walls of the jets causing intermittant flooding .

You need to bend the tang until its level with the surrounding float bracket first.

Then very carefully bend the float attachments (red line on image)so that you end up with the correct float height but with the tangs still fairly horizontal. Be very careful they are fragile...do all the bending by gripping the brass with pliers ,don't use your hands or they'll fracture

Attachments

• xs650 tang adjust.jpg
    xs650 tang adjust.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 216
Great thanks for all your help guys, I got my tang basically horizontal maybe slight downward bend and my float is right on the 22mm mark. Got everything back together and the bike fired up - I adjusted my idle screw 3 turns as recommended and its running perfect again! ! :thumbsup::bike:

excellent well done....wish i could say mine was running perfectly lol:doh:

So the only issue I am noticing now is when the bike is in deceleration, it sounds like one side of my exhaust is making a popping sound on and off? Is there possibly still and issue inside my carb?

So the only issue I am noticing now is when the bike is in deceleration, it sounds like one side of my exhaust is making a popping sound on and off? Is there possibly still and issue inside my carb?

Exhaust leaks can cause decel pops. Would be worth fitting some new header gaskets and some exhaust sealant to your cans and check all fittings.

Another possibility is a leaking, sticky exhaust valve or an over-tight exhaust valve setting.

Unburnt fuel could also cause pops in the exhaust so worth checking your float levels and float needle valves .

Finally having your timing too far advanced could also be the culpret.

:doh:Wonderful - So this sounds like it could be a gamut of things.. I do have baffles on my exhaust.

I would check the colour of your plugs first they should tell you what is going on.I wouldn't advise adjusting the carbs until you have done some basic tests first like check the valve gaps particularly the exhaust.

Check the temperature of both mufflers is one hotter than the other ? maybe a leaking exhaust valve Check the ends of the mufflers , excessive soot might indicate a rich mixture possibly a carb flooding issue

Clean the plugs ,Warm the engine up and do a high speed run then shut down the throttle and deaccelerate for as long as you can without stalling then switch the ignition off and coast to a stop . Check the spark plugs straightaway ...they should tell you if you have any carb/ fuel related issues.

The easiest thing to try would be a bit more open on your mix screws. You're at 3 turns out. Try 3 1/4, then 3 1/2. Keep both carbs the same. If you need to go further than that, a larger pilot jet is probably needed.

Looked at both plugs here they are:
1ebAzlkp.jpg
1ebCq3EK.jpg

Ended up replacing with new and now the popping noise is this:

its difficult to tell as the video isn't quite long enough but that noise doesn't sound like a backfire or exhaust pop to me ?
It would be really helpful if you could post a video at least 10 seconds idling and include a blip or two of the throttle at the end.

If the plugs are showing just idling then one of the pilot circuits are running too rich and the other looks to be too lean. The lean cylinder could cause popping and you'd notice it running hotter than the other cylinder.

Try applying just a tiny bit of choke when the engine is idling and you'll probably find the engine will pick up revs and the popping noise will stop as the mixture is enrichened.

You could try using WD40 or similar with a nozzle tube and spray around the lean carb to check for air leaks . Spray around the choke bodies, the throttle shaft seals and any screw plugs etc as well as the inlet.

Try adjusting the pilot mixture screws to enrich the idle mixture on the lean cylinder it could be all thats needed . If that doesn't work you may need to strip the carbs and check, clean and sync them

Back