XS650 Bobber project questions for newbie

Biker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I saw an XS650 for sale on craigslist for ~400. I love the looks of bobbers however cannot afford one so I decided I would attempt to build one. My questions are:

How hard is it for someone who is new to fabrication to do a hardtail job (I would have a shop weld it)?

Do I need wayy too many tools to do this? I am an experienced wood worker but do not have any fabrication knowledge/tools. What will I need?

What all comes with the hardtail job? As far as other functions on the bike. Obviously I can't just weld a hardtail on and reassemble?

As you can tell I am a newbie but I really want to get into a hobby that doesn't involve doing drugs and I love working on cars, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Where or what is GR? Your best bet is to get the bike running EXCELLENT first. While doing that (in the process learning a LOT about motorcycles and how they work) you can start forming ideas about what changes might and might NOT be a good idea. Half ass hard tails are a dime a dozen in most places you just need to find them. Unless you live where the roads are billiard table smooth a hardtail is a damned rotten thing to do to a perfectly useable motorcycle.

Im in Michigan. The roads here aren't ideal but I don't plan on riding a ton, maybe just to work and occasionally go out for a joy ride. I am doing this for more of a hobby than anything. I read the threads about buying a bike, etc. Which were very helpful. Just curious on the extent of the fabrication and if its worth getting into it without the tools as i'd have to pay a shop for all the welding needs.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. Think of the $400 as a 10% downpayment on a completed bike that runs and rides decent. Your labor of course is free. A bobber with rear shocks is a much more realistic goal for a guy who lives in the frost belt. IMHO but of course. I wouldn't do frame mods if you can't do (learn) welding skills the shop time will kill you, on the other hand TC bros is about 160 miles one way from you maybe they offer a welded on your frame option?

This one looks more like a runner, much better place to start than one with fu##ed up carbs.

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/mcy/4211372892.html

Odds are this guy will deal I would think $800 is more realistic.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/4222598703.html

Like I said I am really only going to be riding for 30 mins or less most of the time. If this changes I would probably buy another bike. I just really enjoy the hardtail look. Thanks a ton for your input! I will call tc bros and see if they could do it for me. Would save on shipping the hardtail that way too. That bike for 650 is looking good. I think thats a better deal anyways. Im getting a hold of him as we speak. How much can I expect to spend on a hardtail job? Id like to keep the overall build under $2000ish if possible.

That shadow is a good deal at the price, If I got both bikes for 2500 I'd be happier than a pig in Schlitz.

Somehow I feel like I just lead a decent bike to it's execution.............

a special isnt anything special, and those hondas are easy to strip down, look the part too...not just another bike that looks like its missing something. Buy the both if you can.
That way you can get your jollys as the yamaha transforms into what you want.

Can't buy both unfortunately. May buy the xs if I can do a hardtail, etc.

Back