XS650 engine 125 pounds including crate? Houston we have a problem!

Jeeter

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Uh oh.

I bought this engine ......

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34094

The seller is a very nice person, easy to work with and has treated me very fairly so far. We Paypal'd the total price for the engine with shipping perhaps a tiny bit too early, bit it is what it is. So, the seller gave us full FedEx tracking info, we tracked it today and the package has been checked into the system and is on it's way.

Per the tracking information posted on FedEx's website, the full weight of the package the seller shipped to me is 125+ pounds. Oh hell. From what the forum Yodas around here have told me I should be expecting an engine weight of roughly 175 pounds. If that is in fact correct, then this package is about fifty pounds light!

There's several options here....

1.) FedEx somehow fuddup either when they posted the tracking info or when someone input the data (or whatever). The "125 pounds" thing is incorrect somehow.

2.) The local Yodas are full of shit regarding how much one of these XS650s weighs (with carbs). They do not weigh around 175 pounds but in fact weigh around 110 pounds.

3.) I've been victimized. There's either no engine on it's way here (something that weighs 125 pounds including the pallet has been shipped) or that engine has been nearly gutted. I figure to get rid of fifty pounds the crankshaft and the transmission would have to be missing.

Ok, I find #1 to be reasonably accurate. #2 is pretty much totally out of the question (every aspect of it). And #3 may also be pretty likely.

What is absolutely certain is that I will find out for certain in about another 4 days or so when ~whatever it is~ lands here.

UGH!!!!! :banghead:

We will be watching.

:popcorn:

I was wondering about that $80 shipping....

Yeah 165 lbs. without carbs is usual quoted weight, I think I even checked it once.
My back has bitched about it a bunch of times.
You wanted a short block, right?

Also, the shipping costs on this engine have been a topic of skepticism around here in a few of my threads. Several folks seemed to feel the quoted shipping costs were far too low.

Hmmm ....

Well, if the engine has no crank or trans in it then I suppose that would account for the low-balled shipping quote, now wouldn't it!

Oh hell, I'm feeling more fekked-over by the second.

Also, I've contacted the seller regarding the seemingly light weight of the FedEx pallet. Perhaps he broke the engine down a little bit and sent it in two separate shipments.

Yea, I know ..... I'm reaching there. I'm guess I just want this to turn out well and that the seller isn't another crooked gashole. I'm very tired of crooked gasholes. Very. I was an armed professional for many years, and I dealt with a lot of crooked gasholes. It would be nice to deal with genuine humans once in a while.

Forgive my cynical attitude, I'm just getting that sinking feeling that I've been shafted. Or perhaps "de-cranked" .... haahaa! :)

Shipping weights are notoriously inaccurate, usually the stated weight is about twice actual. I'd relax and wait to see what shows up.

roy
~heart rate slowing, blood pressure reducing, critical-mass warning lights extinguished~.

Thanks man, I needed someone to smack me in the back of the head to chillax my ass.

The starterless '70-'71 engines come in around 135 lbs, later models reportedly 175-185. There is a shipping threshold of 150 lbs. Under gets you regular package shipping, over that gets you freight shipping, more expensive with delivery restrictons.

My bet is that the seller guestmated the weight (or purposely under reported), and a helpful (or related) FedEx agent went along with it, after all, they need the business.

As long as it never went on an airplane, it's likely an underreported weight...

The starterless '70-'71 engines come in around 135 lbs, later models reportedly 175-185. There is a shipping threshold of 150 lbs. Under gets you regular package shipping, over that gets you freight shipping, more expensive with delivery restrictons.

My bet is that the seller guestmated the weight (or purposely under reported), and a helpful (or related) FedEx agent went along with it, after all, they need the business.

As long as it never went on an airplane, it's likely an underreported weight...
This makes more sense than anything. Per usual, thanks for the sensible frame of mind.

AH! I see the seller has written me back .....

So ok ....

No, there's no fluids in the engine, which may account for some of the weight reduction, but aside from that the motor is complete as it was removed. The carbs and mounting bolts are boxed separately and taped in the top of the crate; stator, rotor, side covers etc. are all in place. This is a 1981 Motor, perhaps they were simply lighter by that year, but aside from that I'm not sure why there would be such a discrepancy. I'll send along some pics of the motor in its crate shortly.

Meh ... I think that "wait and see" approach is best. As has been pointed out to me here in this thread there are a number of viable reasons for the funky weight number on the tracking info.

I get a little itchy sometimes during online transactions. I once bought an engine that had a 1/4 inch lock washer rattling around in cylinder #4.

IMGP0197_zps5a27ba92.jpg

And a fuel tank that had a bunch of rust-holes covered up with bondo, once I hit that tank with sandpaper a ton of swiss cheese was revealed. The tank was total junk. I have it hanging in my shop as a reminder of how things can go sometimes.

IMGP9896_zps2126f063.jpg

Here's a picture from the tank seller's ad (looks "ok" from ten feet away, right?) ....

IMGP9628_zps4d39e184.jpg

By the way that engine (1982 Honda V45 out of a Sabre, those V4 engines were really something in that time) ended up being totally useable. Hard telling how long that lock washer bounced around in there though.

I guess everyone is right, hopefully things will be ok. :) I just kinda freaked when I saw that 125 pound thing.

Thanks! :)

And .....

I'm in the process of emailing the pics to the email attached to your paypal. As far as I know the weight is in fact correct, I think if it was actually 175+ pounds I'd have killed myself getting that crate onto the counter scale to weigh it at Fedex ( don't ask ). As soon as my computer finished uploading they'll be headed your way...

So ok then ..... it is what it is. I'll just go hang in there. It seems like the seller is really trying to ease my mind, and I solidly appreciate that.

:)

Kinda like a personal ad, she said 125 but in person the 165 seemed more like it!

So I went out and weighed a complete 72 engine with a foot of 2X6 and no carbs it came in at 159 on the bathroom scale.

Kinda like a personal ad, she said 125 but in person the 165 seemed more like it!
"Hey, you don't look like your picture on your eHarmony page, sweetcheeks! Looks like yer totin' around a few jelly donuts and two er three youngin's in yer behind-ass since you had that picture taken!"

:)

OK well if you get it for that I would shut up about it. I shipped 5 motors last year and 3 this year and all FEDEX NONE of them were under $190.00 to ship and I shipped one from NJ to PA and that was $225.00 Motors in crate weigh 170+. Now here's the bad news on my shipping invoice I can check that receiver pays any overage. All I do is check box. Sounds like he knew someone (I hope for you) or they didn't care. If its a one hop on one truck you are good if it goes on a plane or goes to another hub it will be weighted again and changed. Happens all the time.. FEDEX delivery is 150lb or less over that is freight. I had a Harley motor come cheap and I had to go pick it up and pay the difference before they would give it to me . FedEx called and said we have a problem with your crate and I thought it was damaged NOPE they wanted there money. Good Luck hope you get it.

There've been some recent seismic activity in southern California.

Seismologists have traced the source to a region of the desert southwest of Arizona.

Something about a guy quaking in his boots....

Twomany has it right. If it was a pickup they accept the weight given by the shipper. If is too out of line, say a skid that is obviously understated the driver will mark it to be reweighed. Or a dockworker will reweigh.
The shipper kept it low doing you a favor try to pass it forward sometime.
Between 3:30 and 6 I loaded over 100 skids of freight on 7 different LTL'S and I'd bet none came within 50 lbs of the real weight. Chill.

Last edited:
There've been some recent seismic activity in southern California.

Seismologists have traced the source to a region of the desert southwest of Arizona.

Something about a guy quaking in his boots....
I'd heard it was from some dood kicking himself in the ass for doing something he knows better than to do .... um, wait.

:laugh: :wink2:

Okey dokey. :) Will do. Thanks, your experience in this matter is helpful.

Seller provided these pics a few hours ago. Looks like he built a pretty nice crate, depending on how well or poorly the engine is secured to it. There seems to be a good one-inch+ of heavy cardboard under the engine, hopefully the exhuast studs will survive without breaking off flush with the head casting. It's pretty obvious that the side cases have been removed at some point recently, but it looks like the main case split hasn't been done recently. The cam chain adjuster looks a little wonky (is that what that is on the rear of the cylinder bank, the two nuts there?).

So, like I said it is what it is. I'm excited about it in any case. :bike:

These pics are pretty large, so if you click on the image after it comes up you can see them in their full size. The added detail of the larger size is helpful. :)

Attachments

• 100_1642.jpg
    100_1642.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_1641.jpg
    100_1641.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 100_1639.jpg
    100_1639.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_1637.jpg
    100_1637.jpg