XS650 engine 125 pounds including crate? Houston we have a problem!

Well, that's interesting. Well-built crate. I see wiring for a points ignition, but no condenser? Maybe Pamco hiding in there? Looks like starter is in there...

Last edited:
T-minus roughly 2.5 days, counting.

Might be the same day the fuel tank arrives. And the same day for yet another Dr appt for this 8mm kidney stone and the 18 inch stent still inside of me!

Thursday is to be a big day, one way or another.

Dude I been threw that twice a 10mm and a 7mm Not Fun at all. I had that operation that it breaks it up and looked like I went 9 rounds with Mike Tysen. Man I was a :yikes:hurting pup and could shoot blood clots across the room. Hope you get better. Ride that bike vibration helps.

Thought I may be able to help here. Pictures are bad but this is a calibrated scale.

One picture, a complete engine including starter, no carbs, little or no oil, perhaps a bolt or two missing but a very short length of chain on top for lifting. 147.8 lbs

Second picture, engine shell, no oil, no starter motor. 74 lbs

Guess which one I carried to the scale and which one was placed there with mechanical assistance.

Yamimoto

Attachments

• motorcycle 019.jpg
    motorcycle 019.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 190
  • motorcycle 020.jpg
    motorcycle 020.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 165
  • motorcycle 025.jpg
    motorcycle 025.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 164
  • motorcycle 026.jpg
    motorcycle 026.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 158
Thought I may be able to help here. Pictures are bad but this is a calibrated scale.

One picture, a complete engine including starter, no carbs, little or no oil, perhaps a bolt or two missing but a very short length of chain on top for lifting. 147.8 lbs

Second picture, engine shell, no oil, no starter motor. 74 lbs

Guess which one I carried to the scale and which one was placed there with mechanical assistance.

Yamimoto
Pfft! Oh HELLS yea, that's perfect! None of this "well I'd heard they weigh (this or that)". Homeboy put it on the scale and shot pics of the readout!

HA!

So then, one Yamaha XS650 with starter comes in at 150. The GAVEL FALLS! Take off or add a pound here or there, but 150 is a nice round number.

IT HATH BEEN SPOKEN! :thumbsup:

Thank you Yamimoto. Well done.

Yeah but that's a bare motor and it doesn't ship that way wish it did so add 20 lbs for a crate and you are 170 lbs and that's freight. Add 5 lbs and its freight. 150 UPS or FEDEX and under and it goes on the ground truck 155 and its in a different world.
Sucks that it couldn't weigh 135 lbs I would be saving tons of money.

Dude I been threw that twice a 10mm and a 7mm Not Fun at all. I had that operation that it breaks it up and looked like I went 9 rounds with Mike Tysen. Man I was a :yikes:hurting pup and could shoot blood clots across the room. Hope you get better. Ride that bike vibration helps.
This is my THIRTEENTH kidney stone. Most of them have been under 3 or 4mm. But I passed a 6.1mm stone at home in September of last year, and a 7.26mm stone at home in 2010. I've passed a total of three of those larger stones at home. Each time it was a 12 to 18 hour experience in utter torture. On my hands and knees, clawing at the carpet, writing in the most pain I've ever known (I've broken five bones at once, been shot, broken both legs at once, and none of those instances hurt anywhere near the absolute agony of passing a larger stone. I always picture a three-hook fishhook being dragged slowly through my body as the stone progresses through the ureter and into the bladder. It's at least a 12 hour ride through hell.

About 7 or 8 years ago I did the whole stent/audio wave blast thing. It ~kinda~ worked. This time I figured "to HELL with it, I am NOT going through that fresh hell again!!" and I went to the emergency room this time around. In Feb of this year I felt that special pain again. I ended up spending seven days in our local hospital on heavy opiate pain meds and heavy antibiotics for the kidney infection. As it stands, I go to the VA Hospital in about a week for another consultation, then one more week or so later I go back again to have the stent removed and have the audio blast procedure done again. All well and good except the VA hospital is a six hundred mile long round trip away.

They've been working on controlling stone production, but there's only so much that can be done with changing and adjusting a person's chemo-structure. After screwing with this for a number of years they've finally figured out that it most likely has everything to do with some severe PTSD issues I have going on. The PTSD causes very severe intestinal problems, and the intestinal problems cause chemistry changes that cause the production of kidney stones. This used to be an obscure idea, but over the last twenty or so years this notion has gained a lot of traction and acceptance with the medical community. So the basic idea is to tackle the PTSD issues head on, and hopefully the intestinal problems will settle down, consequently making it possible to keep the kidney stone production under control using the usual methods of adding calcium and potasium citrate to the daily intake.

So there, that's all I got on the subject. And, a few doctors agree about the vibrating/bouncing motorcycle being a good way to keep the stones to smaller sizes and far more easily passed. The vibes shake the stones loose before they have a chance to grow too large. Since I've been off the bike for around twenty years now, it's most certainly time to get back on it.

So, um, yea.

:thumbsup:

PICS:

The first two pics are the 7.26mm stone I passed at home in 2010.

The second two pics are the 6.1mm stone I passed at home on September 14th of 2013.

Attachments

• IMGP6389.JPG
    IMGP6389.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMGP6369.JPG
    IMGP6369.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Stone-1.jpg
    Stone-1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Stone-2.jpg
    Stone-2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 156
Yeah but that's a bare motor and it doesn't ship that way wish it did so add 20 lbs for a crate and you are 170 lbs and that's freight. Add 5 lbs and its freight. 150 UPS or FEDEX and under and it goes on the ground truck 155 and its in a different world.
Sucks that it couldn't weigh 135 lbs I would be saving tons of money.
Wouldn't we all!

Alrighty then .....

It showed up this morning at about 8:45am, the crate was re-done at some point in the ride.

Here's how it was crated when it left the seller's location ....

View attachment 42065

View attachment 42066

And here's how it showed up here this morning .......

View attachment 42067

View attachment 42068

I'm guessing it may have been redone because the crate came apart or the engine wasn't properly secured in the crate at some point. No real answers on that one. However since the crate's screws seem to have been reinstalled (look at the lowest-most corners of the crate, see the srews?) it looks as though it was purposely disassembled and then the engine was banded-down with a Band-It tool to properly secure it from rolling about, and the box with the carbs and hardware was then taped to the back of the works.

The exhaust studs seemed to have survived (far better than the spark plugs did) ...

View attachment 42069

View attachment 42070

The carbs look "ok" as well. At least so far.

View attachment 42074

View attachment 42075

The left case was only secured by one single case screw, and it was loose. So I was able to easily remove the left side to see what lurked beneathe.

View attachment 42071

View attachment 42072

View attachment 42073

View attachment 42076

So far this engine appears to be about what I expected for a 1981 XS650 engine with carbs for $250 (which included shipping). So far, so so. (haahaa).

I started a thread about the arrival, I just wanted to give this thread a sortof end to the story or sorts. Thanks.

At least it got there in one piece and no fins were broken. You were lucky
Don't think I don't know that! Hey, with as much shitty luck as I've had in my life, I'll take a show of appreciation from the universe now and then! :)

But yea, man don't you know it! Lucky is right. This type of thing rarely happens to me.

Now ..... I just hope it's not stolen or came out of a stolen bike.

If so, I think my license plate may read "G-RIDE". Haahaa!

Back