XS650 front end on BSA A65L frame.

Phyberoptic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can the XS650 front end be placed on a 1969 BSA A65L Lightning frame by using the appropriate taper bearing set to merge the two? If so how would one start to figure out what the bearing specs would be and where to source?

-=PO

Can the 69 BSA frame be fitted with tapered bearings? If so you can probably put those races into the BSA frame and use the XS650 tapered bearing in those races.
Now this all depends on the length of the trees stem. If the XS650 stem is the right length it should bolt up. If not then you will need to swap stems from a BSA tree Into the XS650 tree.

I am having cups machined to take up the difference in length of the BSA. They will take XS 650 tapered bearings. These will be welded to the BSA headstock and my XS triple trees will be used along with the total Yamaha front end and wheel. I also machined down a rear Yamaha hub and used spacers to center it. Still plenty of work to do. Tony C

Here is a pict of my project. Tony C

Attachments

• user271_pic222_1262149088_thumb.jpg
    user271_pic222_1262149088_thumb.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 308
I am having cups machined to take up the difference in length of the BSA. They will take XS 650 tapered bearings. These will be welded to the BSA headstock and my XS triple trees will be used along with the total Yamaha front end and wheel. I also machined down a rear Yamaha hub and used spacers to center it. Still plenty of work to do. Tony C

Looks like you're ahead of me with a similar project.... That's exactly what I want to do with the plentiful XS650 front ends in my garage. Need to source a drum brake front wheel.
Can you get a second set of cups made while he's at it?
The stock cups are tack welded to the BSA frame. So a little grinding first?

Just swap the steerer tubes and use all the BSA stuff.

Yeah, problem is I have no front end for the BSA. Thus my desire to use the XS650 stuff I do have. With the BSA stuff it seems that it is cheaper to buy a whole bike than it is to get some parts.... :doh:

-=PO

Can't wait to see the completion of these two half breed projects:D I've been wanting to do this myself for some time now. Does anyone know if the BSA A10 frame is the same as the 65?

Back