XS650 Handlebar Switch Left Lights Horn Turn

This is the Electrical Diagram for the 1980 XS650G. The second image is the Left handle bar switch portion of the diagram.
I discovered 3 loose wires when cleaning the housing while reassembling the handlebars and had to re-solder them to the correct solder points. [Dark Green (Dg), Brown and White (Br/W) and Dark Brown (CH)]

The first thing to know is the wire color codes:
BR-Brown
CH-Dark Brown
Dg-Dark Green
G-Green
Gr or Gy-Grey
Lg-Light Green
Sb-Light Blue
L-Blue

If you look at the second diagram it is broken down in a sort of matrix with 4 rows and 6 columns.
The Rows are labeled R, N, I.
I'm not an expert on electrical diagrams but I used the top row (R) because it seemed to be the best match for the 3 loose wires I discovered.
If you look at picture 3630, you can see one of the 3 loose wires.
I assumed the 3 metal circles on the black square block next to the loose wire in the image was were the wires should have been soldered to.
At this point I looked up the schematic.
The top row with a slash (\) shows: |Dg|Br/W|Ch|Y/R|

This is were It got confusing for me.
The black square block had 3 solder points (the chart had 5)
There was 3 loose wires Dg, Br/W, and Ch. So I assumed they went to the black square block with the 3 solder points.

On the schematic there was:
5 blocks
4 with circles in the boxes on Row "R"

I wasn't sure what the symbol in the last box was (maybe ground) so I disregarded that.
Therefore the Yellow Red (Y/R) column was my challenge.

Image 3630 shows the brown metal piece I removed. On the back it had a Yellow Red (Y/R) wire attached. So I guessed this was the one in the schematic.

I used the Y/R wire to line up the Dg, Br/W, and Ch wires on the black square block when I soldered them on.

Image 3624 shows the opposite side of the housing with the Light switch.

After soldering the wires on I reassembled the housing (image 3621), put some extra electrical tape on the wires and mounted it back on the handle bars.

Last edited:
full

full

Back