xs650 Lower end Knock

Is this a light Rod knock or bearing knock? You can notice more rite after I rev the motor near the end of the video.

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be cam chain or valves to me. Make sure they're adjusted carefully. Loose cam chain usually more of a random rattle but can sound different ways.

it goes away after approx 10 minutes of driving if that means anything.
Would a rod knock or end bearing problem do that. Have adjusted my valves to spec many time nd
adjusted the cam chain and no change. Tried thicker oil also. Its like once things get hot and expand
or maybe lubed with oil the noise stops.Can only hear at idle and jut off.

That makes it sound more like a cam chain. It gets tighter as it heats up. Try tightening it cold and see if the noise goes away any. After that, check again hot to make sure there's plunger movement, and if not back off a hair until there is.

Cam chain guide stock? Could maybe the guide plastic fall off of it if original. Have you changed the oil and checked the sump?

I will try adjusting cold.I have adjusted with bike running and over tightened and over loosened it to hear what it sounds like so I was tuned to the sound of chain that needed adjusted.And the sound was very different.
Also worth noting is if I put the bike on the side stand the knocking is less.It used to go away completely on the side stand
but now its audible both on side and centre stand. Will a rod knock or end bearing get quieter when warmed up?
I hate to pull the motor all apart if nothing major BUT....

Superjet, apparently the previous owner installed a new guide when he had motor apart and new
rings also. Pulled sump and looked good, no rips in the Mikes Sump filter I installed few years ago.
I do let the motor warm up good before riding to save the sump filter from pressure rip.I have always wondered
if the Heiden filter/cooler with the Honda filter limits the oil flow when cold.It came installed with bike.
I would think there would be some flow restriction compared to the simple screen Yamaha had stock.
But then others would have issues so never pursued it further.

Also worth noting is if I put the bike on the side stand the knocking is less.
That implies the rubber is off the front guide, and the knocking is probably the chain slapping the right side of it. But still could just be adjustment.

The typical "tell" for a bad conrod is if the knocking sound changes when under acceleration, then under deceleration.

Changing sounds when leaning left or right may also indicate a worn right side crank ball bearing. This ball bearing establishes the lateral position of the crank. A quick, but not definitive, test, would be to latch onto the rotor nut with a visegrip, and try to push/pull scoot the crank left/right. There should be no movement...

Back