XS650 motor for ATV drag races?

79xs850

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's take would be on a XS650 dirt drag ATV? The engine seems to show up in some killer hill climb bikes.

Most of the races are around 300 yards. I have already done a few ATV/motorcycle builds.. All of them with 1970s or early 80s Yamaha bike motors. So this isn't a question of "will it fit?" or how to fabricate anything. I just have this vision of a cleaned up and polished XS650 sitting in a ATV frame.

A cool idea, but my Banshee will run circles around my or any XS. I'd say maybe a big thumper like an XR650R if you're still interested in a 650 4-stroke. n2o and/or turbo capable as well.

How about an old 80's it500 motor. My friend has one and it climbs like crazy, cant hold on. Big torque throughout rpm. 4 stroke

I really want a project. A XR650R would be cool, but nothing is cheap on them, even in stock form. At that point I might as well start with a stock 450 or 700 quad.. and that isn't fun. I guess I don't care if I even race it.. as long as its not a total dog. I also have an itch to build one with a Honda V65 or Interceptor V4.

My swap from a few years back:

Tires-side.jpg

Back