XS650 Oddity

One more thing - you do have the correct 5O2 needle, right? That's the match for your slide type and the Z-2 needle jet. And speaking of the needle jet, make sure it's a snug fit into the carb body and not loose. If it's loose, it needs a new o-ring.

I'll look for some M3 washers and keep them handy for the next time I take those carbs off and apart, again. Not sure if I have the 502 needle and the Z-2 jet but I'm hoping I do. I'll check the fit of the needle jet to make sure it's not loose, next time I take the carbs off and apart, which I hope will not be for a long time.

Gentlemen, especially 5twins, with all your help and guidance, this thing now runs like a scalded dog. Took it for a test ride and it's running better than it ever has. Idles just fine, throttle snaps are right there, roll-ons in higher gears no problem. No coughing, spitting, choking, gagging and back firing, so for a 30plus year old machine, that's pretty admirable.

Next step is to take it on a hundred mile ride and then check the plugs. If that part is cool, it's time to move on to the right cylinder putting out some white smoke. It used to be black smoke, now that those carbs are squared away the white smoke is more visible.

Thanks again.
PS. 5twins, Mikuni owes you.

It's been awhile. I've got about 300 miles on it since doing all the things you wanted me to do. Took it out last week for a 200 mile round a bout. Pushed it up to 80 with an average of about 65. The bike runs great. No hesitation, no coughing, spitting, belching, puking, just a nice strong pull.

Now, the white smoking out the right exhaust more than the left. It's almost all gone.

Can these XS650's fix themselves? If you push them hard enough?

Too a certain extant it can happen old deposits stuck rings, gunked up carb passages can get freed up in constant use. I used ato run a prius really hard ona mail route the front hub bearings would start to get sloppy but never fail. I'd change them out and throw them in a box, It never failed 6 months of sitting later they would be frozen solid never to turn again. Many a sitting car with leaking valve covers would seal back up up after few hundred miles of use. Torque your head studs.

Back