XS650 PMA/Pamco + Toggle switch

ember

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am wiring my XS650 and second guessing myself. Simple wiring, but don't want to fry something.

Quick run down-
Kick only
Headlight/tail light (no signals)
High output single black coil (mikesxs kit)
Permanent Magnet Alternator
Pamco ignition
(Toggle on/off ignition switch) no key switch.

Question:
To run a simple on/off toggle switch to act as an ignition on/off (kill switch) since I am not running a key switch. Do I run the wires from the Pamco ignition module directly to the toggle, and from toggle down to the single coil?
Or would I go directly to coil and back to toggle switch?

I have a SPST on/off toggle with two poles. Depending on which way it is to be wired at coil, how would the red and green wires from the module connect to the toggle? Both wires on one pole and power to the other?

I am brain farting on how to power the toggle/coil.
Thanks!

Ember:

You'll have a single run (fused hot) from the battery and meeting at the coil/PAMCO. You might want to consider the toggle between the battery and the coil/PMA junction. Basically, a toggle on that single hot run. That way, you're not cutting power between the PAMCO and Coil. The toggle would cut power to both of them.

I remember reading that you're not supposed to have power to the PAMCO for other than short periods of time if the bike isn't running.

Hope that helps ya.

Rich

Rich,
I appreciate the response.

Let me see if I can explain how I will wire and maybe you can confirm I am wiring correctly as to your suggestion. I am also using a small battery pack, not a regular battery. So two small wires out of the battery as well.

To aid, here are the diagrams I am going off of-

PMADiagram.jpg

216402_1765173007261_1177209439_31645456_3755075_n.jpg

Alternator connects to regulator via 3 yellow wires
From regulator- 2 wires, positive and negative to battery
Split negative from battery to frame
Split positive from battery to fuse
Fused hot to toggle
Toggle to post on coil

Do I run the toggle wire piggybacked to the red wire from Pamco module onto coil terminal?

That is what the diagram shows, but just want to be certain. I am worried about frying the electronics. Also worried the engine won't shut down after start up. Thus the stupid questions.

If I am not clear, please let me know.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Ember,

You could also simplify things by using a three position toggle switch for the headlight. Hi-Off-Low and eliminate one of the switches.

Thanks, guys.
Pete- I am running a DPDT switch in the headlight bucket for the lighting circuit.
DPDTheadlightbucketwiring.jpg

The kill switch in the diagram above would be my toggle on/off. So only two toggles on my bike and no other switches.

I ordered a fuse block, so as soon as it arrives I will try wiring this thing. Hopefully no smoke when i connect battery!

Back