XS650 Scrambler Build

Thanks Tom. That gives me a few ideas. I was thinking about cutting down a AT175 Enduro rack but there`s no grab rail/seat protector involved. The rear fender/tail light/licence tag mount/rack is fast becoming a real pain in the ass. Maybe something of this type only smaller??
images

I like that one...the tail light is nice also.
But, with your talents, get some 1/2 " aluminum tubing and bend and weld your own. I will bet it'll look factory
when you're done. Oh yeah, don't forget to polish it.

Thanks racerdave. The snuff or not`s are NOS originals. I did make the pipes from 42mm OD mandrel bent tubing so I could use the factory fined exh clamps. Speedway motors sells the tubing as a combo bend piece for 12.00 each. Took 3 pieces.

The aluminium rack is way too tecno for me too but it is pictured on a Yamaha SR500.

I haven`t been in the garage since last Fri. Got up to 39 degrees today (Heat Wave?) so I did make a combo tail light/licence tag bracket. Electrical parts still on order so tomorrow is chain guard and finish up the throttle cables.
tail light bracket 001.JPG tail light bracket 002.JPG tail light bracket 003.JPG

Ahh, a Boyer ignition. That’s a nice change of pace! I’ve always been surprised we don’t see more of those on this site.

73 degrees yesterday, 29 today. Froze my elderly ass off out in the shop polishing the chain guard and tag mount bracket. Felt better about it when I realized that is the last structural piece I need to make for this build. (maybe).:)
polish guard 001.JPG polish guard 002.JPG

I started wiring it up yesterday. Nothing to warrant taking a pic of just yet. A total Ass Kicking in public would be easier and probably more honorable too!:shootme:

I knew that I forgot something on my street tracker....a horn:oops:
Nice job of wiring, Phil

The swing arm is a modified Radian with Cheney rear shock mounts.
I`ve finished up the wiring and so far everything works. :thumbsup: I did make a insulated charging post so I don`t have to remove the seat for that.scrambler 006.JPG scrambler 007.JPG scrambler 009.JPG scrambler 010.JPG scrambler 012.JPG scrambler 013.JPG scrambler 014.JPG scrambler 015.JPG scrambler 017.JPG scrambler 005.JPG
I`m in the finishing stage. Not many parts left or things to be installed.
I think its done!

I think your wiring looks great, very neat and I like that woven loom. It looks much more custom than a stock wiring harness.
I also like the red theme you’ve got going with the clear red fuel line and th red spark plug wires. And one more thing, your sheet metal work is very clean. Well done!

So do you keep the bikes you build? You must have a pretty nice collection now.

By the way, I stumbled across a new web site ( for me ) and found some of your handiwork prominently featured!
http://vft.org/index.html

Back