XS650 seats and frames

Hasspen

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have 1,5 XS 650 standing outside.
#1 is a raked 1981 Special. Complete.
#2 is a stock 1981 Special frame with trees and forks.

My plan is to move all the parts from the raked frame to my stock frame. However, I don't really like the seat that is standard on the Special models.

Is there anyone here who can tell me what must be done to my Special frame in order to be able to put a standard (XS 650 early models/XS1) seat on it?

And also if anyone knows if a Yamaha SR 500 seat will match my frame?

- welcome...i had a lift off special seat, i removed the rear mount and latch...if you want to use the std seat you need to transfer the hinges and side latch...i used a 1.5 person SR500 seat, they use the same front mount as the special and bolt up through each side of the SR frame so i welded a piece of tube to the insides of the XS frame and used a bit of plate each side as adapters...worked well

- this is an old mock-up pic from the build ... SR500 seat

P5240018.jpg

It might be easier to cut down the foam in your seat to just how it fits you and looks the way you want, then recover it. If your seat is to nice, trade it to some one with a not so pretty seat.

I have seen that seat but I can't really tell how well it looks just based on the picture from the MikesXs page.

Does anyone have larger picture on that seat? Preferably a picture that shows the whole bike.

Also, I think that 200$ for a seat is quite harsh and I need to have it sent to Sweden aswell...

$200 for an all-new seat, including pan, is not out of line. Look at brands like Corbin and Sargent.

I just checked Heiden Tuning's website. They stock it -- 190 euros. Shipping costs will be less to Sweden, one would think.

I just started making some seats recently. Im currently in the process of starting my own custom motorcycle business. Here are some pics...

This seat has a custom pan built for the xs. It has a tunnel shaped out of sheet metal to conform to the stock rear fender.

Unfortunately i dont have any pictures of it on the bike, as mine is completely torn down right now awaiting a new motor and paint.

Let me know if you, or anyone for that matter is interested.

Seat+02.jpg

Seat+05.jpg

Seat+04.jpg

Seat+03.jpg

Seat+01.jpg

These pictures are linked to my blog.... check it out if you guys have time... Just finishing a build for a buddy. Should have better pictures of his bike and everything in a few weeks.

http://blackheartcycles.blogspot.com/

cheers

Last edited:
- XJ600...slightly longer than a std XS swingarm...box section steel...had to remove the original footpeg mounts and brake drum brace mount, add a new brace mount and slightly modify the bearing mounts

i like this seat a lot... anyone have any tips on making one like it myself? has anyone ever sewn leather like this on a regular sewing maching

... anyone have any tips on making one like it myself? has anyone ever sewn leather like this on a regular sewing maching

- i used an old singer treadle machine for my first one...good strong machine that i could hand crank...next i used my sisters industrial machine thinking it would be better, it wasnt

It might be easier to cut down the foam in your seat to just how it fits you and looks the way you want, then recover it. If your seat is to nice, trade it to some one with a not so pretty seat.

The seat on the 81SH is a bit too wide for my tastes and it kicks up at the back to accomodate the tailight and sissybar, I'd also like to know of any seats that are easily converted to the special frame

Inxs, that seat looks great I'd like to see a pic of the modification, I just cant get my head around it without pics

- pics are great-save a lot of typing...youll have to wait a bit, the missus n kids have gone with the MiL on holiday for a coule of weeks :shrug:...will post a pic when they get back

I have seen that seat but I can't really tell how well it looks just based on the picture from the MikesXs page.

Does anyone have larger picture on that seat? Preferably a picture that shows the whole bike.

Also, I think that 200$ for a seat is quite harsh and I need to have it sent to Sweden aswell...

Here is my 83 with Mike XS cafe seat to give you an idea, it fits right there with the locking mechanism on the bike. I did have to modify the tail light to make it fit.
xs650_21.jpg

May we have a better look at your tail light mount? That big light adds a margin of safety that you don't get with the readily available aftermarket lights.

May we have a better look at your tail light mount? That big light adds a margin of safety that you don't get with the readily available aftermarket lights.

Here are a few photos i just shot in the garage, we just had a foot and a half of snow in Montreal...

I made some parts from aluminium i had lying around, i used the big tail light from my 83, like you, i like the added safety.

dsc00910.jpg

dsc00911.jpg

dsc00912.jpg

Back