XS650 shifting problem

gazzmann

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Help! I have an 83 Heritage Special and it will not up shift to neutral or first gear.
The other gears 2nd through 5th shift fine. I pulled the side case and everything I could see behind the clutch looks ok. Any idea what could be wrong?
What bites is I just rebuilt the carbs and installed a new battery and on the test ride I stopped for a light and it wouldn't shift into 1st or neutral.
Thanks...::wtf:

That was the first thing I did. I even tried to shift it by rocking it back and forth with ignition off. It still wouldn't kick up into neutral.

With the clutch side cover off, try to rotate the shift drum with the shifter arm disengaged.
If no rotate to neutral/first, remove neutral stop/indicator plunger(s), try again.
If still no rotate may be bent/jammed shift fork.

Help! I have an 83 Heritage Special and it will not up shift to neutral or first gear.
The other gears 2nd through 5th shift fine. I pulled the side case and everything I could see behind the clutch looks ok. Any idea what could be wrong?
What bites is I just rebuilt the carbs and installed a new battery and on the test ride I stopped for a light and it wouldn't shift into 1st or neutral.
Thanks...::wtf:

I had a chance to remove the clutch cover today. What I noticed is that the shifter star wheel only has four pins...shouldn't it have five?
If that's the case where can I find one?
Both springs are in place and the linkage appears to be working fine.

Back