XS650 Special - Bobber build for my brother

Haha cheers Nozila,

Sure, Yell out when you run into a problem, I'll do my best to help out.
If I cant answer your questions someone on here will be able to.

As with the other bloke, I'm afraid to pull my engine apart since I've never rebuilt one before. Electrics, I can do. Engine, not attempted as yet.

With the hardtail, what length and drop are you looking at?

Dont be scared mate. Its not has hard as one would think. Like I said being tidy and organised is the biggest thing in my oppinion.

I used to work on BMW motorbikes.. Those Germans really know how to give a guy a headache haha... the Japs are all over it and the horizontal splitting case is even better.. If you have a manual and use this link http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869. See INXS comments and pics to make sure you have all the bolts undone. Then you should have no problems.

The case isnt even pressed together its just bolted so I got mine to the stage you see in the pics there with a socket set, some screw drivers and a hammer wrapped in a rag (I couldnt be bothered heading up the street to buy a rubber mallet hahaha)

I had a quick look at your thread and you definetly should split your case.

If you run into trouble or have any questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

As for the hardtail we have ordered one from Ardcore Choppers in the US. Its a D.I.Y. job. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15497

Stretch and drop- They are a standard 4" stretch with a 2" drop in the seat.

Ah I forgot I made a thread about my bike. Yeah as of now, it's just sitting there since I'm uncertain how to approach rebuilding it and instead as working on the R1 and XS1100.

I've also contemplated hiring a bike mechanic to rebuild it for me.

Personally,

If you can undo bolts and label boxes, I wouldnt waste your money on hiring someone to do it for you.

Hardest thing to do is get the valves out... and as you can see... $10 bucks, a clamp and a grinder gets them out hahaha

The only reason I consider this person is that he can rebuild engines and has the necessary tools. Plus he comes to you and charges $50 p/hr which I'm told by others is a very good price.

yeh that is a pretty good price if his work is good.

It depends if you are a "built it" not "bought it" kind of person.... Only way to learn is by having a go... and seriously you cant get into too much trouble. If you get stuck with anything you just need go for a cruise around the forums and if you dont find the answer just shout out.

For things like honing and valve seating if they are too technical or you dont have the right equipment just get those bits done at an engine reconditioners.. I just got quoted $40 for honing both bores and $100 for a complete valve clean and seat. Pretty cheap in my oppinon.

Like I said it depends what your after. If you want to know how the bike works and really build a connection with it i would suggest having a go at doing all the mechanical fitting yourself. Also usually you get the added bonus of saving a ton of money...

I'm the 'teach me to fish' and I will feed myself for rest of my life analogy kind of guy. So although I want to attempt all thing myself, visual guidance would help immensely.

Anywho, how's the bike going? It's just starting to pour down hard with rain and looks to continue all weekend here so not sure how much will get accomplished on my xs.

Yeh I get that. What sort of a manual have you got? Anything with step by step? I have a manual but it was super vague about splitting the engine... When it got down to it it just said.. remove bolts and tap casing apart gently. Not how many or where... thats where that link above came in super handy.

Hey I am a bigger believer in getting people involved and being independent.. I am willing to help you out if you want to attempt the engine rebuild.

Bike progress is on hold. We just purchased the tank today but I am waiting for the soda blaster to get back to me with a booking date to get it blasted. Really hard guy to get a hold of.
Emailed the frame guys today too, its been 12 weeks since we placed the order so probably about time we gave them a ring lol. I'm heading back to Melbourne to help my mum move house this weekend so no progress this week.

Any help would be much appreciated. No hardcore manual but I have got a few electronic xs650 manuals of some sort - one in German that has been translated to English with great pics.

3 months and no hardtail, I would be mighty upset.

I don't recall the link but I do have a copy of it. So can always upload it somewhere and give u link - let me find the manual first. Have both the original copy of the manual in German and the translated version a member did - the translated isnt great but works.

I don't recall the link but I do have a copy of it. So can always upload it somewhere and give u link - let me find the manual first. Have both the original copy of the manual in German and the translated version a member did - the translated isnt great but works.

are you a perth local???

hey mate,

I have every nut and bolt in little containers but we have since moved house and most of the bolts are mixed and or lost...

anyway, i'm going to give it a crack as of wednesday.

Do you recommend splitting the cases? the bike was running fine before i took it apart, other than the right bank was smokey and the cam chain guide was buggered.

i have played with engines before just not to the extent that i am at with this motor.

i really didn't want to split the case but if it's a good idea, i will.

I'm just not sure what i'm looking for when it comes to wear on bearings, rods and also valves.

You on perth cafe racers on Facebook?

Back