XS650 Special - Bobber build for my brother

Kinsygrl
Re: XS650 Special - Bobber build for my brother
Is soda blasting the same as sand blasting ?

Hey Nozila is on the money,

Soda blasting is done with Baking Soda solution delivered at high pressures. Sand blasting is grit delivered using compressed air. As far as I can work out soda blasting doesn't remove any material (of the part) or change the finish of the piece being cleaned.
I have done plenty of sand blasting and it tends to leave a textured finish not to mention the build up left behind if not taped up properly. Also in cases with thin features I have seen material eaten away and holes created. Soda blasting leaves no residue and you only need to wash with water to neutralise the baking soda.

It has come highly recommended from some very 'In the know' people so I'm giving it a go. Ill post pics soon as it happens. Can't comment on price cause the guy hasn't got back to me with a quote yet but apparently it's slightly higher but still
comparable.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
hey mate,

I have every nut and bolt in little containers but we have since moved house and most of the bolts are mixed and or lost...

anyway, i'm going to give it a crack as of wednesday.

Do you recommend splitting the cases? the bike was running fine before i took it apart, other than the right bank was smokey and the cam chain guide was buggered.

i have played with engines before just not to the extent that i am at with this motor.

i really didn't want to split the case but if it's a good idea, i will.

I'm just not sure what i'm looking for when it comes to wear on bearings, rods and also valves.

You on perth cafe racers on Facebook?

It depends on a number of things really. If you want to fully clean the casings to make them look all pretty and shiny or you dont know the real condition of the gears and main bearing etc. Then yes I would. As for the valves, Harris Engines in Osborne Park (08) 9444 3838. Hit them up and they will clean and seat those bad boys for ~$40.

It is really simple to split the case probably just worth it so you know you have checked.. nothing worse than getting it all back together and hearing a funny noise and not knowing what the insides look like... then having to start again.

You dont really need to take too much off the engine to get it to split. I left the stator rotor on cause I dont have a puller for that.

As for bearing wear its pretty easy to see when its there also you can just roll the bearings in your hand. They should roll smooth, if there is any hangups or problems with the bearing generally you will feel it just by doing this also check for excessive slop/movement in the bearing cases.

Take plenty of photos as you pull it down and that way if you ever get confused just look back and match the photo thats how i did it when i first started playing with engines.

If you are unsure post up some pics in your thread and ask peoples oppinions.

Oh and nah i am not the facebook.

Hey do you have an updated build thread? Where are you at with the rest of it?

nah no updated build thread... i'll do that as soon as i get hoime. it might motorvate me to do it.

I have welded a VI brat rear piece on the frame and got a nice little peaniut tank made for it. but i will have to update to give you the full picture.

Ardcore Frame arrived!!

full

Engine Mounts

full

full

full

full

full

Installation needs the engine in it so now its time for Soda Blasting.

Got a quote: Approx. $240 for the whole engine pretty good.
Taking it in next Saturday. :bike:

You lucky man you .. Im Still waiting for the three DIY kits I ordered.. Been 10weeks now but still wouldn't have gone with any other tail.... I also have a cole foster tank for mine...

What's your thoughts on the tail ??

I'm watching this build for sure !!!

Hey Bobberboy yeh mine took 13 weeks for them to ship and then arrived here in Aus about 8 days after that...

The tail looks shmick as... really nice quality... cant wait for the engine to be done so i can start putting her in... Im heading away for a month soon so hopefully I can get the rebuild finish before I leave.

Awesome. So maybe only a few more weeks and ours will be here.. LOL...

Just something for you to think about.... Maybe you should mock up the motor cases and place it in the frame to weld the tail on before you send the cases off to be cleaned !! You don't want to get any weld splatter or marks on them freshly cleaned cases....

Goodluck with it all hay, I'm watching along...

haha hopefully it does man. I would jump on their facebook and ask them if you havent heard from them in a while. Thats what my bro did and then got the response about shipping.

Yeh the plan was to put the engine back together and build a quick frame with the dimensions off the motor, using some shit off cuts. Then use that to do the frame mods. It will be lighter and easier to work around than using the motor.

I really want to get the soda blasting done because I have been trying for about 8 weeks to book it in.

LoL... You US guys love your Mag wheels.

I know a drum rear Mag is rare but damn Mags are ugly. I have two sets (disk ones) sitting in the shed that will never go on a bike I own...

Bikes are suppose to have spoked wheels, cars have Mags.. LoL.

8 weeks to get a booking for soda blasting, wtf? business must be booming.

Yeh the first guy meant well but was clearly far too busy.. never returned a call or email..

Second guy I tired quoted straight away and drop off the next weekend. It should be done today or tomorrow. I'll post pics on the weekend.

How's the engine coming?

Back