XS650 Special or XS1100 or XS ???

I've never ridden a triple, but the XS1100 is as smooth as anything out there. It's heavy and it's dangerous if it's not well-handled (What bike isn't dangerous if it's not well-handled?), and it's more than a little ugly, but it goes like hell. It's real good for touring (especially if you wanna pull a trailer). It's not as fast as it used to be but that 1100 four will still stomp holes in them 2000 cc v-twins. And it's QUIET, even when you twist it hard.

Have you considered a Kawasaki KZ of some kind or Suzuki GS.? I have a 78 Kz650 and I could ride it forever. fast and smooth. Makes my xs650 feel 20 years older than it is. Perhaps a newer Kz750 4 cylinder. electronic iggy etc.

Have you considered a Kawasaki KZ of some kind or Suzuki GS.? I have a 78 Kz650 and I could ride it forever. fast and smooth. Makes my xs650 feel 20 years older than it is. Perhaps a newer Kz750 4 cylinder. electronic iggy etc.

Yes, I have considered the KZ. Actually there is a KZ1000 LTD not far from me that is currently for sale. Are they a pretty smooth bike?

Any 4cyl is smooth. They are naturally counter balanced. Be aware any kawasaki or suzuki offering will be shim under bucket and requires cam removal to do valve clearances. Sohc honda 4s are set screw and lock nut like the xs though.

XS1100 is shim under bucket as well. IMHO, it's likely a better performer than the KZ. The cams do not have to come out to replace the shims on the Yamaha.

I think the chassis of the KZ-1000 is underbuilt. When them things blast off, I seen those swingarms bow like one of BB King's guitar strings. I never seen one break yet, but seein' 'em bow like that just gives me the willies.

So that would probably make it shim over then...kz900 are shim over and you dont need to pull cams to do them.

The XS1100 shims are under the cams. There is a tool for replacing shims.

MOTION_PRO_VALVE_SHIM_TOOLS-7486.jpg

Out of all the XS Special's, which do you all suggest as the most laid back, low vibration, model? And I

It doesn't have to be an XS, but I really like the looks and ergonomics of the XS Specials.

So far, it seems like the Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD is a close resemblance...

The XS1100 can be an easy cruiser. It will give you an adrenaline rush if you twist the throttle. You have to work to ride it fast in tight curves because it's a big heavy bike. It is very solid for a bike of that vintage. At parking lot speeds it is top heavy and a bit awkward. Mine is fitted with appropriate springs, emulators, fork brace, etc. It does not ride like a 30 year old bike. Once the bugs are worked out (it's over 30 years old) it is reliable enough for long trips and the handling is very predictable. I can't speak for the other bikes due to lack of experience.

Talkin' about big cruisers, I've never ridden one so I don't know how they handle, but the Kawasaki ZL-900 Eliminator in black is the most sinister looking Jap cruiser I've ever seen. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money in my pocket and found a nice, low-miler that had never been wrecked.

The XS1100 shims are under the cams. There is a tool for replacing shims.

MOTION_PRO_VALVE_SHIM_TOOLS-7486.jpg

Yes....its called shim over bucket then. Probably the same tool for the z900 kwaks. Apparantly kawasaki had reports of some 900s spitting shims out under high rpm...so thats why after that they put the shims under which requires cam removal to get them out. kinda suprised yamaha is over....the 1100s probably saw some real good flogging. I would avoid sabres....cam lubrication/rocking problems...

Thanks for all your input. I bought a cherry 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special. It is really a nice bike. Smooth, powerful and quiet. I think it handles very nice through the twisties. Granted, it's not as nimble as the XS650, but it is a very nice machine.

Jet,

Yes, I have been to XS11.com and saw some of your posts. However, I am not able to register with the forum. Apparently it is closed to new members?

3rd generation Honda Magna, good in the twisties, stupid fast above 6000 rpm, cruiser styling and dirt cheap. I paid 3K for mine but they can be had for less now. It's Honda's Accord in a motorcycle.

roy

Ever Work on one? :)

I have a 79 xs11 and an 82 cb900 custom. I like the power of the xs but the cb rides so much nicer. Handles a lot better.

XS11.com is not closed. You have to register with the administrator. The do that to keep spammers off the site. Follow the instructions, you'll get on.

Posted via Mobile

Back