XS650 Special or XS1100 or XS ???

Tripod

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1978 XS650 standard. I am looking to get a cruiser style, but was hoping to find something without the vibration of the 650 even though it's not bad. Does anyone have experience with the other XS's like the 750, 850, 1100, etc.? Are any of them "smoother"?

Again, I would like it to be in the Special, Heritage or "cruiser" style.

Would anyone want to recommend another Japanese bike that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

You can find very nice Shadow 1100s for about 2.5 to 3.5K I like the Shadows a bunch, I think it's worth it to go 98 and newer with the 5 speed.

VintageFest2011003.jpg

I have an XS1100 Special. With proper tuning it's smooth. Mine starts instantly and pulls hard throughout the RPM range. I have installed straight rate springs with Race-Tech Gold Valve Emulators. It doesn't drive like an old bike. Getting it to where it is has been no small chore. I like the bike very much and there's not much out there like it. People like to say, "The XS1100 handles like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, and goes like a locomotive. You're going to love it!"

That being said, whatever it is you like about the XS650, you can forget. Other than the Special styling, and some parts from the same bin, these bikes are nothing alike. On a twisty road, I can run over the XS11 on the 650. The 11 is big and heavy. The XS11 is comfortable at high speed where the XS650 is not. The XS1100 can carry a very heavy load and I have toured on mine. I spent six days on it last week. I am keeping both bikes.

Mine suffered the very common blown 2nd gear. The Eleven can be fixed through the oil pan, and it's not too bad if you put the bike on its back. The XS650/750 suffer the same malady, but you have to split cases to fix those.

XS11.com has a very good forum, with lots of good technical help.

04221315222_zps7a681f31.jpg

0528131316a1_zpsc6ac1018.jpg

I should add that, if you don't respect it, the XS1100 will kill you much faster than the XS650. It goes like stink, but the brakes are nothing like a modern sport bike.

Thanks for the feedback, Marty. Doesn't sound like the XS Eleven is the bike I am looking for, then. I need a cruiser style for riding around locally. In the country and small towns. Girlfriend on the back. No vibes, etc.

I probably should just look for an XS650 Special. I was hoping to find something similar to the Special, but without the vibration. It's not bad, just looking for something quieter, smoother, etc.

Any other ideas?

+1 on Shadow 1100's Excellent bikes. Can't tell you what year to go to, but try to get one that does not use the Notorious "T" battery. Probably the only weak point I can think of aside from a few with the 19 inch alloy front wheel having very dry wheel bearings out of the box. The older Tourer was an exceptional model to me, coming with a good windshield and some very nice hard bags. The offset crankpin models (1100 Sabre I think) make more power than the single pin crank models (1100 ACE) but don't sound as traditional. Being that they are 45 degree V-twins, the cadence of the single pin motors is pretty familiar. The offset crank motors do not vibrate near as much as the single pin bikes, but putting around the countryside, it's not obtrusive, IMO.
With shaft drive and hydraulic lash adjustment (it's a proprietary Honda design) There's not much to do but keep clean oil and filter on it, and keep the fuel system clean, as with any bike, and don't forget the stabilizer if it's going to set for more than 3 weeks.

I love the 850, and it's probably the smoothest XS bike out there when it's tuned up right. I like them, but they are difficult to find in really good shape. that triple comes into sync, even someone who don't know shit about motors can tell it hit the sweet spot.

389129_10201000234589597_1945013939_n.jpg

I ride two-up on my XS650. I have sprung it to handle the job, even with five layers stuffed under the jackets. You can tune most of the vibration out of the 650, but certainly not all of it. For the kind of riding you describe, mine is no bother at all and I get no complaints from the pillion. Over 60 mph it gets buzzy and I find it unpleasant. I avoid taking it on high speed divided highways.

The 2001 and up Bonneville is a very nice ride. It's a twin and extremely smooth. With stock pipes, you can't even tell whether or not it's running. It will do two-up duty and has plenty of power. It's pretty, too.

triumph-bonneville.jpg

Smooth, get a Goldwing or Beemer.
If you want something to easily handle the back roads the Yamaha XJ750 Maxum or Seca are smooth but still light and handle well.
Leo

Hondas are great bikes. What kind of riding will you do? Weight is a huge factor in many aspects...

I love the honda v4's. Especially the interceptor 800

Here is the post I put in ADVrider.com

Hi Folks,

I have plenty of motorcycles to fit almost every kind of riding but one... I am looking for a late 70's-early 90's cruiser style. Japanese, Buckhorn pull-back style handlebars, feet under me (no forward controls), very comfy for me and passenger. Low, low vibration. Something that looks like the Yamaha XS650 Specials, Virago, etc. Just looking for something to cruise around in the country on a nice summer evening. I have many other motorcycles, so I am looking specifically for a Japanese cruiser style. Nice and quiet sounding. And maybe cruiser is not the best definition, but I can't think of a better one.

I am thinking something in the $3,000 to $6,000 range. Probably air cooled. Shaft drive or chain. Anywhere from 650cc - 1100 cc. Preferably in the lower end of cc range.

Thanks!

This might be heresy but I think you want an '80s Harley Sportster. It's in that price range and displacement. The "girlfriend on back" is the line that clinches it. The xs650 will carry a passenger easily, but if the rider just flinches you can go all over the road. Due to the short wheelbase, relative lightness, height. So, get a Sportster. I've done plenty of two up but I would hate to do it for any length of time and any kind of speed. The xs650 is just a hair to small for that, in my opinion.

This might be heresy but I think you want an '80s Harley Sportster. It's in that price range and displacement. The "girlfriend on back" is the line that clinches it. The xs650 will carry a passenger easily, but if the rider just flinches you can go all over the road. Due to the short wheelbase, relative lightness, height. So, get a Sportster. I've done plenty of two up but I would hate to do it for any length of time and any kind of speed. The xs650 is just a hair to small for that, in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply, but not interested in a Harley. Actually had a late 80's Sportster in the early 90's. Too loud, too much vibration.

3rd generation Honda Magna, good in the twisties, stupid fast above 6000 rpm, cruiser styling and dirt cheap. I paid 3K for mine but they can be had for less now. It's Honda's Accord in a motorcycle.

roy

Attachments

• Magna 2012 001.JPG
    Magna 2012 001.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 276
Thanks for the reply, but not interested in a Harley. Actually had a late 80's Sportster in the early 90's. Too loud, too much vibration.

Well, next would be maybe a Royal Star. Then xs750 maybe. I think ggg's suggestion of a Shadow is pretty good. I think they're low and long which helps two up. That might be best of what you'd be willing and able to go with. Maybe an XJ.

Vmax... game over. lol. Its a spectacular bike, if you can get past the awkward styling of the early models. Lots of potential if modification is your game. As stock they are very smooth and make plenty of power for 2up riding.

Later-model XV750 or 1100 Virago, say late-80's through end-of-production in 1999. Shaft drive, very comfortable with Mustang seat, good power. Took my '94 XV1100 2000 miles around the north shore of Lake Superior two summers ago in perfect comfort.

Back