Xs650/Tx500

bladecc

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all.. new guy to the forum figured this would be the best place to get the information i need. I got a '73 tx500 last week in pretty decent shape. But i need a few parts that are little hard to find. I found an '81 xs650 that doesnt run or have title. could i transfer some of the parts over? what i need is. brake caliper, master cylinder, brake lines would be good, shocks, i would do the the entire front end and both wheels/tires if they are good and will fit. maybe if ilook into the engine and its good throw it on the bike with the title. any suggestions? thanks in advance

some of the suspension stuff fits and brake stuff i think (don't be a cheap fuck, buy new brake lines....cutting corners with old shit will get you killed).....motor swapping is a no go more than likely as the frames will be different. TX500's were kind of a bastard child like the tx750 too. And tx500's had a problem with cracking on the head somewhere...can't remember where.

i think the front end of the TX500 is exactly the same as TX650's....i think.

cool thanks. yea im cool with gettin new brake lines. will be saving money anyway. i know some models mounted the brakes behind the fork where mine is in front. if i get it from a dual set up and use the left which was the behind the fork and put it on my right in front of the fork it should be ok? i mean as long as it fits good
is there a problem with running one complete brake line btw?

no idea, youll have to experiment.

as for brake line in one piece, if you can eliminate that hard line somehow it will be fine. I just bought a replacement piece i could bend myself from the local auto store.

I have a full parts bike with a title where are you located? pulled it out of a shed Had beed sitting since 76! I have every thing except for the tank and a few bits

The brake calipers are different because the year of manufacture are too far apart, won't fit. The fork tubes on a TX500 are 34mm, the '81 650 I think are 35mm, but you might be able to install them.

The yamaha 500 and 650 share a lot of parts, but you would have to get a 650 that was made closer to your '73.
Knowledgable opinions regarding TX500 are found at the TX/XS forum.
www.XS500.proboards.com

I've stripped and scrapped 3 of them over the years, lol. Two were free, last one I had to give $25 for. They do have lots of useful 650 parts on them.

Back