Xs750?

Tia813

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
A guy I buy metal from informed me that his shaft driven XS750 is up for sale. It would take A LOT to get it road worthy. It would be a parts bike. Is there anything that can be swapped over to a 650? He's asking 100.

There's not a lot you could use from the bike. If its a 1977 you can use the forks. If its a standard, you can use the left caliper and have dual ( or duel:) ) brakes. Turn signals are interchangeable, Probably the headlight also. Also, the standard model gas tank is often used for cafe racer styling. Coils may be the same. But a definitive answer would depend on the year of your bike, and the year and model of the 750. One source I use to compare parts is the Yamaha site http://www.starmotorcycles.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=star For $100 it would be worth checking out.

I've had 2 of the XS750-850 beasts. If you're considering it - resell the bike for $200-250 and make some extra xmas cash.

While they're heavy Triples offer an excellent base for either a custom / chop or a cafe.
Some of the 750's outstanding attributes are its smooth suspension / shaft drive and impressive power / torque.

Like any older bike it would cost $$$ to get it going.

Cafewannabe_03.jpg

clearcoat5-6-07001.jpg

If you are low life and dastardly the title and frame number could be used.............
They had issues and it would not be worth a bunch of effort to get one going. Primary drive goes bad. As mentioned the forks complete are bolt on AFTER a steering stem exchange from an XS650 triple tree. The brakes from a standard especially the LH front are desireable and a good gas tank has uses. I tore one down and rescued those parts and a box of bolts not much else. You could probably sell the carbs and a few other easy t oship parts on fleabay. BUT you will have big pile of scrap to get rid of.

Guess I've been just plain lucky ... XS850 issues aren't anything a backyard mech couldn't handle; brake pads, carbs, cables, petcocks etc. Leaking final drive cost only $10 to replace. In Europe XS triples, esp. the G models, are still quite popular.

There's an ever-growing XS triple aftermarket in UK and Holland with specialty parts becoming available to refit, improve
their performance and reliability.

Yes - Some guys on the Triples forum avoid early 750s because of the known 2nd gear issue, they perform an XS850 drive train swap. :thumbsup:

It may be a hassle to keep any old Yami XS bike going but then that's part of their charm.
Still get a huge grin on my face every time my torque beast XS850 shifts up - successfully. :bike:

DSCI0390.jpg

100 bucks? shit, but it. sell the carbs, wheels, shocks, blah blah. find out what axles will swap and sell those. part that sucker out. then scrap the frame. youll make out a few bucks.

Where did you end up getting your steel from?

P.s. I don't want the bike

Posted via Mobile

Oostman Fabrication up in Westmont. I've been going to him when I worked for Acura. Now that I work in Joliet I have no time to go there.

If he is in Saturday I'm going back to take a real good look. This thing sat for years in a shed rusting away. Dont know what year. All I know is it has the tank has the knee whatchamacallits (sorry brain fart).

Ahhh I was hoping for somewhere local... im gonna check out bills in rockdale and sontags in crest hill right up the street from your work.

Posted via Mobile

Back