XVS650 front end

Les

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum
I haven't had an XS for many year, she who must be obeyed won't let me get another bike so the next bet thing is to help my mate who bent his forks fix his TX650 up.
He doesn't have a lot of cash and we have been having issues finding new fork tubes that won't set him back over $600, so, my question is has anyone ever done an XVS650 swap?
I know the forks are 41mm so would have to swap the tree as well, and then a heap of other parts but being a newer bike the bits and pieces are much easier to find.
I have recommended he sell the millions of bits and pieces he has (motors, frames, tanks and numerous other parts but no forks) and up date but he loves his classic old bike and won't have a bar of the idea.
Any help and advise would be greatly appreciate
Thanks
Les

I'm not that familiar with the set up on either bike but for some reason think the XV front ends had the axle forward of the center of the fork tubes. One would have to take this in to mind as it could have a major effect on the handling of the finished bike.

What continent are you on? - shipping can be expensive.

I'm not that familiar with the set up on either bike but for some reason think the XV front ends had the axle forward of the center of the fork tubes. One would have to take this in to mind as it could have a major effect on the handling of the finished bike.
You're right, the XV axle sits to the front of the slider, the XVS is in the middle of the slider, they also have a 41mm diameter tube while the XV has a 36mm tube

Hi Les,
I'm yet another who knows sod-all about XV/XVS Yamahas but if they are built like the XS750/850/1100 series
the Special (front axle) and Standard (bottom axle) forks have the identical steering trail so long as they use the matching triple-trees.
Presumably, as the XV/XVS bikes steer OK their forks should also be OK on a TX650.
What you'll need to check is the TX650 steering head angle and fork length vs the same on the XV/XVS.

Hi Fred
The XVS650 has a 41mm tube so the entire front needs to be changed, unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a front off their bike so I can measure the triple tree to see if it can be fitted.
Once I find out if it can be done I will post the info in case anyone else wants to do the same change, XS and TS parts are getting hard to come by at a reasonable price

I want to know if the steering head from the xvs would fit the ts, if so would I also need different size bearings?
Thanks

Back