Yamaha Special 650 - barn find - Identifying

Just gave it a warm soapy bath... still have some cleaning to do but this gave me a better idea on the trouble spots.

Attachments

• 7844CAEA-43AB-421B-9465-FC3B9E9C7994.jpeg
    7844CAEA-43AB-421B-9465-FC3B9E9C7994.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 131
First, welcome to the forum!!!
Second, you got your belt and shoes swapped... :lmao: Here, I flipped it for ya.
Third, yes... looks to be an 80SG.
What's your plans for it?
That a 63-64 Falcon in the background?

View attachment 191449
Welcome to the forum
Now look at your picture
and squint. do you see this? LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-26_02-08-05.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-26_02-08-05.png
    343.7 KB · Views: 136
I have some S100, Gel Rust remover, Quick Chrome Polisher, 000(0) Steel wool pads, bushes arriving tomorrow and I can get this party started.

Still trying to troubleshoot the compression issue. Any suggestions on where to start? Should I be draining the oil and opening the case? I did remove the spark plugs and add oil to try and lubricate and free things up should I just keep letting the oil penetrate?

It would be very strange if the compression is gone after such a short running distance
I would try to work the clutch.
on the left side there is a Phillips Looking screw with a lock nut
i would release it . If it is to far in the engine wont turn.via the kick

Without going back through 4 pages, what's your compression issue?
When I use the kick start there is 0 resistance. A few suggestions were the spring being disconnected but the Kickstarter does spring back. Jim I think you specifically said to give it multiple kicks and let it spring back to see if something frees up

It would be very strange if the compression is gone after such a short running distance
I would try to work the clutch.
on the left side there is a Phillips Looking screw with a lock nut
i would release it . If it is to far in the engine wont turn.via the kick

Loosen the nut, back that screw out and tighten the nut again?

Attachments

• 064DA158-AC94-4F9A-B3F9-3326B022BFD9.jpeg
    064DA158-AC94-4F9A-B3F9-3326B022BFD9.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 86
When I use the kick start there is 0 resistance. A few suggestions were the spring being disconnected but the Kickstarter does spring back. Jim I think you specifically said to give it multiple kicks and let it spring back to see if something frees up
So, just so we all stay on the same page terminology-wise.... you have a kick starter not working, not a compression issue. You have to spin the motor to see if you have compression... and the kicker isn't spinning it.
Try this... put the tranny in gear... first, second... doesn't matter. Now push down on the kicker. Does the rear wheel spin?

Here's is what I would do.

Under that plate with Yamaha on it, is the charging system. In the pic provided is what it looks like when the plate is off, you can see the stater, (Outside cover but yours wont have the black oblong thing at 2 o'clock), and rotor, (the thing with copper rings on it).

The nut you see is the end of the crank. get a socket and longish bar and turn the nut and this will turn over the engine. If stuck you can jiggle it back and forth to help break the seize. I think it can be a more gentile way to do this.

Also means you will get to look at your charging system and be able to see the condition of the components. You need to check the brushes o you can do that while your in there

Many ways to skin a cat and putting it in gear will do the same and is a good way to do it if other options, (Kick leaver), is problematic.

late rotor copy.jpg

What we're doing by putting it in gear is seeing if it's your kick starter not engaging, or if your clutch is disengaged. The kick starter engages the tranny. That spins the tranny, and through the clutch, spins the motor. With it in gear, it should spin the wheel. If it does that, it means the kicker is engaging and working. If that's the case, we'll move on to figuring out why your clutch isn't engaging. If it doesn't spin the wheel, we'll find out why not. We're just working through this in a logical sequence.

So, just so we all stay on the same page terminology-wise.... you have a kick starter not working, not a compression issue. You have to spin the motor to see if you have compression... and the kicker isn't spinning it.
Try this... put the tranny in gear... first, second... doesn't matter. Now push down on the kicker. Does the rear wheel spin?

yes wheel spins when I put it in gear and push down the kicker.

yes wheel spins when I put it in gear and push down the kicker.
OK... makin' progress... the kicker works. Go ahead and put the tranny back in neutral. Now remove the cover Skull referenced above, kick it over and tell us if the rotor (watch the nut) spins? If it does, the clutch is engaged. If it doesn't... it's not.

The nut you see is the end of the crank. get a socket and longish bar and turn the nut and this will turn over the engine. If stuck you can jiggle it back and forth to help break the seize. I think it can be a more gentile way to do this. View attachment 191839

OK... makin' progress... the kicker works. Go ahead and put the tranny back in neutral. Now remove the cover Skull referenced above, kick it over and tell us if the rotor (watch the nut) spins? If it does, the clutch is engaged. If it doesn't... it's not.

Removed the cover(wasn’t fun 1 screw had some good rust on it but nothing snapped or stripped. Small victory)

Kicked it over and NO the rotor didn’t spin. Used a socket and a bar, gently gave it a spin and it did move freely(as in not seized)

Attachments

• 755EDB90-E886-4071-8DE7-D6549ACF42BA.jpeg
    755EDB90-E886-4071-8DE7-D6549ACF42BA.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 96
Removed the cover(wasn’t fun 1 screw had some good rust on it but nothing snapped or stripped. Small victory)

Kicked it over and NO the rotor didn’t spin. Used a socket and a bar, gently gave it a spin and it did move freely(as in not seized)
Now we're cookin'. We now know the motor's not seized and the clutch is disengaged. See the adjuster to the right of the alternator? Loosen that nut and back the screw all the way off. Hell, you can remove the screw just to make sure it's backed off enough. If you have an impact gun, that's your best bet for breakin' the nut looses.... it's likely gonna be a stubborn bugger. Now, hit the kicker and tell us if the crank (rotor) spins? Backing the adjuster off will tell us if it's just the clutch improperly adjusted or if there's a problem with the clutch itself.

Untitled.png

Now, hit the kicker and tell us if the crank (rotor) spins? Backing the adjuster off will tell us if it's just the clutch improperly adjusted or if there's a problem with the clutch itself.
View attachment 191855

removed screw and nut(easily luckily) and gave it a few kicks, nothing.... said the hell with it and kicked it about 5 more times and WE’VE GOT MOVEMENT!!

removed screw and nut(easily luckily) and gave it a few kicks, nothing.... said the hell with it and kicked it about 5 more times and WE’VE GOT MOVEMENT!!
Excellent!! So are you sayin' initially the clutch stayed disengage and after some kicks it's now engaged?

Back