Looking for a luggage rack for my 1980 650 Special

650zeus

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just restored my 1980 650 Special and I want to put a luggage rack on the back of it. I scoured the Internet and cannot seem to find one anyywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks!
Joe

They come up now and then. Start by keeping an eye on eBay. Do you know what the rack looks like for a 1980 Special? If not, I can probably get you a picture. It bolts up behind the taillight, not at the top of the shocks.

Hello Everyone,

I just restored my 1980 650 Special and I want to put a luggage rack on the back of it. I scoured the Internet and cannot seem to find one anyywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks!
Joe
I might have one.

There's a lotta stuf out in the seavan. I had one on an '82 special. But that was years ago, and that bike went away and came back. I'll look. Don't hold your breath though. A slug of parts that were headed to Mike came to me instead. Mostly I'm choked up with honeydewjobs and the harleys, and arthritis. Spring gardening, chop wood, carry water.

For myself, tig some stainless and fit panniers, I always thought the rack looked funny.

Best!

They come up now and then. Start by keeping an eye on eBay. Do you know what the rack looks like for a 1980 Special? If not, I can probably get you a picture. It bolts up behind the taillight, not at the top of the shocks.
I've been checking ebay to no avail. I thought there might be a universal-type luggage rack that would fit it but I'm starting to think otherwise. Thanks.....Joe

Do you care if it looks like it was made by Jethro. I could no find one for my V65 Magna and ended up making one.
001.JPG
Rack side.JPG

Here's one like the one Marty shows above mounted to my '80 SG. Got this one from @jetmechmarty. I recall that at the time I was looking, someone else offered me one that they picked up at a bike flea market.... @gggGary maybe....:umm:
Gary?

View attachment 240791
I used to install quite a few of those on brand new bikes that I was prepping for customers when I worked at a Yamaha shop late 70's/early 80's.

They had an optional backrest that telescoped in and out of the rack....it complimented the rack (looks wise) and actually functioned very well.

We sold them like hotcakes.

I used to install quite a few of those on brand new bikes that I was prepping for customers when I worked at a Yamaha shop late 70's/early 80's.

They had an optional backrest that telescoped in and out of the rack....it complimented the rack (looks wise) and actually functioned very well.

We sold them like hotcakes.
The knurled knobs on mine were destroyed with vise grips so I made new ones out of aluminum.
Mine mostly sits on the shelf, but yeah... it is right handy.

1681841253509.png

1681841409087.png

Been ponderin' this all winter.... The ol' right leg with the aftermarket knee has a dickens of a time bending to go over the seat, and mounting normally won't work 'cause the rear rack is in the way. I've got 3 or 4 sets of bags downstairs just because of that... just never got around to trying 'em. Maybe it's time I should?

@650zeus , PM me with a reasonable offer on my rear rack? Might be just the push I need to get off my ass and try the bags.

I always like a sissy bar luggage rack behind me just to hang a back pack back there
There's always a sweatshirt in there and room to carry an extra set of glasses
With a full face helmet
Take glasses off tuck em your shirt neck and then later drive away and you might feel them leave usually not
I'm not blind enough to notice that I'm not wearing the damn things till the signs aren't as clear as they should be

Been ponderin' this all winter.... The ol' right leg with the aftermarket knee has a dickens of a time bending to go over the seat, and mounting normally won't work 'cause the rear rack is in the way. I've got 3 or 4 sets of bags downstairs just because of that... just never got around to trying 'em. Maybe it's time I should?

@650zeus , PM me with a reasonable offer on my rear rack? Might be just the push I need to get off my ass and try the bags.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response - can you send me a picture of the rack on your 650? As far as price is concerned, what do you think is fair?

Thanks,
Joe

Sorry about the re-ask for pictures - I was mixed up on what post was yours. How about $100?

Thanks!
I'll send you a PM. Look for a notification on the envelop... top of page.

Untitled.png

Hi,
I'm in need of a nice rear luggage rack for a 1982 XS 650 heritage, anyone that might have one to sell, please reply.
Thanks,
backshift

Back