Yamaha Vs Norton

Coleman67

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All, First time post --- Although I am not new to motorcycling and have some experience with a mild restoration (1974 CB550), I have not taken on such a big project as I am considering. A close friend has come across a couple of barn finds. One is a mid-seventies XS 650 mostly complete. The other is a mid-to-late sixties Norton Commando (frame, complete engine & wheels). I have the opportunity to choose between the two bikes to build a street tracker and I feel like the Yamaha would be the better candidate for this project . I am wondering about the advantages / drawbacks of restoring the Yamaha into a simple, clean street tracker. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I sold my locked up early 850 Commando and later used some of the funds to buy the present bike. I would have liked to kept it but rebuilding it was out of my capability. Not so with the XS and parts are a lot less expensive. Cool factor is in the Norton's favor. Not to say our XS's don't have any . They do. Search this site and you will find a LOT of cool lookin' street trackers. Pregrid's comes to mind for a really nice one.

From my experience (I have an XS my little bro has a '69 Commando) the Brit bike will be more appealing to others than the Yammy will. Screw 'em. In stock form I'd agree with them most times, but custom... I judge "cool" on the final product, not the starting platform.

My little bro has one hell of a time finding parts, I can get them from a ton of places. My parts are also considerably less expensive. I suffer from far less mechanical issues, and my XS don't feel a need to mark its every parking space with oil. :D And I've never heard anyone refer to the Norton engine as the one Yamaha should have built ;)

You'll also get the benefit of being one of the very few, if not the only, XS at your local bike meet/show, while there are sure to be quite a bit more Norton/BSA/Triumphs attending.

If you want to ride it the xs, if you want to be constantly working on it to keep it going the Norton

Depends on the condition of the Norton but i sold one on ebay 2 years ago that was a 7 out of 10. Started and rode but did need to be restored for $5700.00. They are very hard to come by just like the old Benelli bikes i sold one of those for $9700.00. OLD triumphs/bsa/norton/benelli/ducks/any old bike from the 60's sell big and then you got the money to build a nice XS 650 . I have seen a very clean ALLSTATE made for SEARS and sold out of there catolog in the 60's go for $25,000. Old barn finds do pay off without touching them.

if my options were norton or xs i'd go norton personally... and i love my xs and have put more time and money into my xs that any other "vintage" bike i've owned

I'm with the restore a Norton, Mod an XS especially if you are not sitting on wads of cash and a custom machine shop. You might catch some serious sheet from the British faithful on anything non stock. But if you have a $10,000+ budget and impeccable taste the Norton will knock their socks off when it's done. If you are more of a six pack Joe kinda guy and comfortable with it, the XS is for you!
I owned a string of Nortons just out of high school and have XS650's now.:cheers::cheers:

You're asking, so my money would go into the Norton. It is way more easy to find an XS than an old Norton. Someday you'll be sorry you passed on that Norton. Here's a thought, buy them both,and sell off the Norton stuff to fund the XS build. You might end up money ahead???

Back