Yamaha yellow powdercoat?

pago cruiser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anybody found a powdercoat manf/color to match any particular Yamaha yellow paint?

Yamaha yellow can seemingly be Hot Yellow, Corvette Yellow, Mustang Yellow, Yamaha Competition Yellow, Laser yellow, 60th anniversary yellow, red-yellow, camel yellow, bright yellow, Kenny Roberts Yellow, etc, etc.

They are all yellow, but some definitely are orange/tangerine-ish (yuck), or have a tinge of green (double yuck) and they are all just different enough so that any particular powder would not match many of the various shades.

For those interested in Yamaha colors, here's a link to the DT forum where some folks have put together some color selections:

https://yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/general-discussion/279-yamaha-paint-matches

Yamaha%20Yellows.jpg
']
Yamaha%20Yellows.jpg
[/URL]

But nuttin' on matching powder.

In the past I've had to find a color I like, have my painter guy do me a large-ish almost-perfect sample like a side cover or fender, (buffing and clear-coat WILL change the color), take it to the powder guy, get a close match, then go back to the painter and have him mod the sample paint to match the powder, then spray another almost-perfect sample piece. I'm about 50% successful in this process (the final has had to be modified ever so slightly, again...), and it burns time and $....

With the popularity of Yammi Yellow (hey, now THERE's a good color name!) , surely someone has been down this road?

Never realized just how many yellows were out there.
Insignia yellow, banana yellow, lemon yellow,,,

And the color of my '73 Vega: baby sh*t yellow.

Don't do that one...

The company doing my wheels, is ordering a powder labeled Yamaha Yellow. Hopefully it will be correct. If you need I can stop by and get the manufacturer and part number. I know he has to get a minimum of 13 lbs. I don't have to buy the 13 lbs. he keeps the extra.

Baby sh!t yellow! LOL.

Hey Doug 79 - are you trying to match a version of (whatever) Yamaha yellow?
From experience, if you want things to match, you have to match the paint to the powder. Custom paint is easy - custom powder is not.

Yes, that is why I am doing the powder coating first. I will take a wheel to the paint guy and let him match it.

I called my powder coat company today, and their "Yamaha Yellow" is by Prismatic, #5654. Which unfortunately means I have to order and pay for a minimum $25 can and then pay them to spray a sample to see what it actually looks like.
Have you been able to see a sample of the Yamaha Yellow? The Prismatic site close-up sample appears a bit orangy - kind of like the Camel Yellow on the spoons above.

Yamaha%20Yellow%20Powder%20sample.jpg
']
Yamaha%20Yellow%20Powder%20sample.jpg
[/URL]

I am not particularly fussy about matching the factory yellow. In fact if it is not a good match I won't have to explain to the critics why it isn't a perfect match. I just want the wheels and body work to be very close to the same. I like the look of those calipers.

Back