Year long build still not running properly!

Brencarp

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OK guys...

I've been in the process of building a '77 s650 with a '74 motor for about a year now... I've done a lot of frame work and have that all lined out as well as the suspension. The bike looks great and has a nice stance (in my opinion)!

I'm experiencing a few issues however with either the carbs or electrical. I installed a pamco electronic ignition with a permanent magnet alternator. I also installed Mikes XS PWK XS Performance Carbs. I believe that I have the carbs in sync and the timing set correctly. But the bike is not performing the way it should. There are times that the bike will stutter and backfire while sitting still AND while running down the road.

My question is, does anyone think that I have timing issues or carb issues? :banghead:

Ive been through the carbs twice cleaning them up and I have vacuum synced them twice. As far as the Pamco, I followed all the instructions step by step and believe I have it set up right.

Let me know your thoughts!!!

Sounds like you could possibly have an air leak at the carbs somewhere. I had similar issues with mine. Turned out one of my vacuum barbs lost it's cap! AND one of the carbs had slid out of it's boot! Connected the two barbs to each other with some fuel line, and pushed the carb back into the boot, and my backfiring went away.

Otherwise I have nothing.............:shrug:

Back