Yet another bad Title...

William

Cant Get Enough
Reaction score
Ok so i have to be one of a million people with title issues. I bought a title from a fram distributor which gauranteed me a clean title. Yada yada... Goto transfer and BAM insurance company bought the bike in 84 which courthouse says must be salvaged! Called the distibutor and they say they will start looking for a new frame. Problem you ask? I have already hardtailed and lots of other mods. Ya i know stupid, gulible.... Anyway my question is i dont care if the new title states salvage. Its been cut in half! And i dont plan on selling anytime soon. Is it worth the trouble to get a salvaged title? Do i have to have it running and all lights working and blah blah blah? Or do they just inspect it to make sure numbers match the current title? I live in TX and any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I'm pretty sure in my neck of the woods you need a title, no matter the condition, in order for it to be road legal. Then again, maybe all you need is to register it... I'm not really sure. I know my worry would be someone could apply for the title and perhaps obtain it, and then take away my bike without having legally "stolen" it.

I have a title for the bike and it doesnt say salvage but the title shows that an insurance company last bought it in 84. Therefore when i took the title to get it transfered into my name they said since an insurance company owned the bike at one time that it must have been totalled. So my question is do i go back to the courthouse and say f it change the title to salvage or is it totally ridiculous to even try? Lots of paperwork and inspection? Gotta be street legal to get it inspected by the dps or they just gonna check numbers?

I'm pretty sure here in OR it's okay to be riding about with a salvage title. I think you're only worries might be the insurance company not wanting to cover them, or the biggest being resell value. Of course, once you've completely chopped it up what does it matter, a buyer much farther down the line that is interested in your bike is much more likely to be critical of your work than a simple brand on the title. (Unlike a sportbike.)

I also know that banks usually have weird restrictions on loans for bikes with salvage or rebuilt titles... that doesn't really help but it might if you, say, used your bike as equity for a loan.

If I were to make a guess... if you don't want to go through the hassle of emissions, electrical tests, etc. then just accept the salvage title. Otherwise, make it completely road-legal and go apply for a rebuilt title. (You might have to get the salvage title first.)

Im gonna call the regional office in waco tx in the morning to find out what i need to do to get the title changed to salvaged. Not sure how they can really tell its salvaged with the title not stating it and the computer at the local dmv not saying its salvaged when they ran it. Im not worried about resale value or any of that. Ill post their response tomorrow in case anyone else has this problems in the future. :doh:

Being totaled is not the only way an insurance company can end up with a vehicle. It could have been stolen, The ins co pays off. The guy gets a different bike the first bike gets recoverd and the ins co owns the bike they sell it off to recoupe some off what the paid out.
AS far as A salvage title goes, it depends on how the state see's it, some places a salvage title only allows you to sell it as scrap. Others see it differently.
Calling you state dmv is the best place to start.
Getting a frame with a good title and cutting the head out and putting it on your frame may be an option.
I have had hassles like that before. Any more I won't buy any thing with out a clear title unless I have one just like it with good paper. That way I can swap parts from the untitle vehicle onto the titled one.

William, I have rebuilt cars from the salvage yard here in NY and I cant see it being much different for a motorcycle. After the vehicle is rebuilt it must be taken (trailered not driven) to a DMV inspection site (by appointment only). The vehicle must be in working order and complete. All lights, etc must work. You must have all receipts for parts that you replaced. This shows the inspector you didnt use stolen parts on the vehicle. After the inspection if everything is to their liking you can register the vehicle with the DMV but it will always have a salvaged rebuilt title. The insurance company shouldnt have a problem insuring it because it is now salvage rebuilt and safe to drive. Well thats how things are here in NY. Maybe different in Texas so start at the DMV and go from there............BG

Back