You Are All Underachieving Disappointments

I am Carbon

shade tree mechanic
Reaction score
You Are All Underachieving Disappointments: U.K. Dad’s Scathing Letter to His Kids Goes Viral — Do You Agree?
It’s probably safe to say everyone has experienced the feeling of parental disappointment — whether that be as the child having disappointed your parents at one time, or as the parent expressing it. Channeling the essence of this disappointment, perhaps you’ll be able to understand — or not — what drove one parent to pen the scathing email to his kids included below.

That email, sent from retired British nuclear submarine captain Nick Crews to his three children earlier this year, has taken the UK by storm, and now it’s finally made its way across the pond and is going viral in the U.S. It’s easy to see why. The no-nonsense letter focuses on what a disappointment Crews’ children have been to him and their mother, and how they have failed both in life and their marriages.

here is the email: 'I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed': retired naval officer's email to children in full
This is the full email that retired Royal Navy officer Nick Crews sent to his son and two daughters in February expressing his and his wife's disappointment in them.

Retired Royal Navy officer Nick Crews
Dear All Three
With last evening's crop of whinges and tidings of more rotten news for which you seem to treat your mother like a cess-pit, I feel it is time to come off my perch.
It is obvious that none of you has the faintest notion of the bitter disappointment each of you has in your own way dished out to us. We are seeing the miserable death throes of the fourth of your collective marriages at the same time we see the advent of a fifth.
We are constantly regaled with chapter and verse of the happy, successful lives of the families of our friends and relatives and being asked of news of our own children and grandchildren. I wonder if you realise how we feel — we have nothing to say which reflects any credit on you or us. We don't ask for your sympathy or understanding — Mum and I have been used to taking our own misfortunes on the chin, and making our own effort to bash our little paths through life without being a burden to others. Having done our best — probably misguidedly — to provide for our children, we naturally hoped to see them in turn take up their own banners and provide happy and stable homes for their own children.
Fulfilling careers based on your educations would have helped — but as yet none of you is what I would confidently term properly self-supporting. Which of you, with or without a spouse, can support your families, finance your home and provide a pension for your old age? Each of you is well able to earn a comfortable living and provide for your children, yet each of you has contrived to avoid even moderate achievement. Far from your children being able to rely on your provision, they are faced with needing to survive their introduction to life with you as parents.
So we witness the introduction to this life of six beautiful children — soon to be seven — none of whose parents have had the maturity and sound judgment to make a reasonable fist at making essential threshold decisions. None of these decisions were made with any pretence to ask for our advice.
In each case we have been expected to acquiesce with mostly hasty, but always in our view, badly judged decisions. None of you has done yourself, or given to us, the basic courtesy to ask us what we think while there was still time finally to think things through. The predictable result has been a decade of deep unhappiness over the fates of our grandchildren. If it wasn't for them, Mum and I would not be too concerned, as each of you consciously, and with eyes wide open, crashes from one cock-up to the next. It makes us weak that so many of these events are copulation-driven, and then helplessly to see these lovely little people being so woefully let down by you, their parents.
I can now tell you that I for one, and I sense Mum feels the same, have had enough of being forced to live through the never-ending bad dream of our children's underachievement and domestic ineptitudes. I want to hear no more from any of you until, if you feel inclined, you have a success or an achievement or a REALISTIC plan for the support and happiness of your children to tell me about. I don't want to see your mother burdened any more with your miserable woes — it's not as if any of the advice she strives to give you has ever been listened to with good grace — far less acted upon. So I ask you to spare her further unhappiness. If you think I have been unfair in what I have said, by all means try to persuade me to change my mind. But you won't do it by simply whingeing and saying you don't like it. You'll have to come up with meaty reasons to demolish my points and build a case for yourself. If that isn't possible, or you simply can't be bothered, then I rest my case.

I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

Dad
His daughter released the email to the public

Last edited:
these are the things come to mind.

1: He states "I sense mum feels the same". I question why he doesn't know his wife's opinion

2: A navy officer is rarely home for long periods of time.
maybe he was an officer and forgot to be a father when he was home and the conflicts that may have caused with his children. Maybe that's why they haven't/don't come to him with their problems

One thing i do know. If he could accept his children as people who have failings and not be so judgmental, look at himself and be honest about his contribution as to why they are the way they are, then just maybe he could build some sort of relationship with them instead of telling the world how bad they are.

Cant take 1 persons word for their problems.

Well he wasn't telling the world it was just to them and the daughter published it.
Without knowing either side I can't pretend to know what has happened in their lives.

I did get a similar letter from my father the ex-cop and we told hi
Where he could stuff the letter. He walked out on our family a week later. When I was 15.

Maybe they never took the time to counter popular culture and tell them that they were not special, were not gifted, and above all, were not entitled to a damn thing, and would have to earn it all. People in genral nowadays are emtionally selfish, so the spate of marriages, children, and divorces is no big suprise.
That being said, folks of a certain age in this world are exrtemely reluctant to accept that times and people are different. The younger generation needs to accept that as well, and people need to stop breeding out of wedlock, or within the first 2 years of marriage, and make sure they actually are going to stay together before they complicate another existance. The consequence of these failures is an increasingly burdensome society, with emotional orphans of all ages unable to cope with the circumstance they themselves created.
A child can find few things on this earth that they will treasure one day as much as having the same loving, dedicated parents at home for the duration of thier lives. I see so many single parents, rent-a-dads, baby daddies, and WIC babies nowadays, I fear it will be very difficult in a generation or two to actually find strong minded, confident, well adjusted, emotionally stable individuals to make the tough decisions in our world. I can't imagine that growing up with essentially an absentee father is easy, and I can't speak to what that inspires, other than a mother most likely driven crazier than my own, but there is obviously to me a good deal of shortcomings in the instillation of values in these children that the father thought he should expect of them. I had some stray moments myself, but I do believe that in spite of the setbacks of some immature moments, my parents are proud of me and my brothers, and the 7 grandchildren that we have collectively, that still enjoy thier birth parents as a married couple, from my oldest nephew, who is 19, down to my own son, who just turned 9. I have, however, seen people try HARD, and have bitter disappointment at the end. It's gotta be hard to swallow, but if they done thier best, and it still didn't work out, perhaps they can be disappointed, but have nothing to be ashamed of in thier heart.

BTW Skull: Good points across the board. I did feel like he was complaining a bit about the kids whining to thier mother about thier wowes, but after the fact I suppose.

The captain must have had a good 10 years of pent up frustration with his daughters copulation-driven indiscretion and finally had enough. Although there are 2 sides to every story, I can't blame him. Captaining a nuclear submarine is a position that few people can imagine and I don't think his - now grown up children - have any idea of the stresses and responsibility that their father had. They too have their responsibility and probably have no idea of the complete lack of respect they give to the parents. Just my 2 sense.

yeah I have to say it reads very phony to me.

A captain of HM submarine is likely to have had a top Public school and University education and the structure and grammar of the letter certainly doesn't reflect that.

PHONEY:thumbsup:

Kids blame parents and parents blame their kids when their lives don't live up to the expectations of the other . Same old story, the generation gap. The only thing you can do is try to provide a stable environment for them and hope they do all right in life. If you try to force your kids to be just like you , or what you think you are ,you will be dissapointed. Most people never admit what they were really like in their teens , not to their own kids anyway , stuff like drugs and sex seem to be forgotten when you were doing them.

Just be honest with yourself . The harder you push the harder they push back and eventually you might end up pushing each other away .

There's four boys in my family. I'm the third one. My oldest brother and I both are self supporting, he's married with no kids. I've been married once, am now divorced and have full custody of my daughter. He and I don't live like kings (although he does have a damn nice house in Murrells Inlet, SC) but we do OK.

Then there's my two brothers. My older brother has something like $175,000 in judgments against him stemming from various ill thought out business ventures. He's upside down in his house, has no savings of any kind. He has a sailboat; it's one of those deals where it's someone else's but my brother makes the payments for him, once it's paid for the guy will sign it over to him. Yeah, right. No written contract of any kind. He just spent $2,000 fixing the boom on it, too. This brother parties all night and is rarely out of the bed before 9:30 during the week. I still don't know how he's kept his contracting business alive for 15 years.

My youngest brother lives in Florida with his long time GF, he lives in Florida because he skipped out on a child support issue here in SC. He rarely comes up here because if he gets stopped, there will be all kinds of bells and buzzers going off and it will cost him something like 15 years of back child support to get out of jail. My dad tried to smooth all that over with the judge, but my brother pissed the judge off so bad there was zero chance of that and Dad told him he was on his own completely.

I guess I'm saying I understand why the guy wrote that. Seven grandkids, each of whom is going to come up in households where there is no truly stable adult? Not good.

Back