You might want to watch this, but you've been warned...

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This may upset you, It got to me. Finish watching the whole thing.

We need to constantly work on making the right reaction instinctive.

I bet he sh*ts his pants every time he hears a fire truck siren after that... if he can even wear pants now....:(

I was taught loooong ago: With your hands on the bars; push left, lean left, go left! Push right, lean right, go right!

Those words still ring true. That, and I ride like everyone's trying to run me over...including local wildlife.:wtf: Yet another reason "Loud pipes save lives!"....within reason:wink2:.

Thanks for the vid Gary!

Hi Gary,
thanks for posting the video.
It does explain the mechanics of what most of us learned by instinct when we learned to ride a bicycle.
It also explains why when a 6 year old transitions off his tricycle the proud parent has to spend so much time running along holding the bike up until the kid learns to balance it.
The kid has learned to ride a tricycle and trikes DON'T countersteer so the kid will instinctively turn the bike's bars the wrong way until he learns not to.
Show the kid the video, eh?
Same shit when us old farts transition off our bikes onto trikes or sidecar rigs.
Try countersteering either of those and you'll end up buried in a semi's radiator grille.
55 years ago; my first and only sidecar operating lesson:-
"Watch it, kid, these things steer funny."
I got the rig almost all the way home before I forgot to "watch it"
The sturdy steel railings stopped the rig & I from diving into the Portway docks so damage was limited to dents, scrapes and bruises.
These days everyone has experience operating quads and snowmobiles as well as bikes so most likely they'd manage the countersteer/straight steer transition easier than I did.

Once you commit, stick! Many times the instinct feels wrong but is right. No so much on the 650, but on the 996 I have put myself in situations where it is more important to just trust what the bike can do and 'ride it out' than to try to force what you want.

In responses to the video, several say the rider survived.
I have been picking any "spot" on the road then do an emergency avoidance. It takes some thinking and practice to achieve best results. Keep this skill fresh with regular practice.

Hi gggGary, yep that was reported on this side of the pond http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...crunching-head-collision-motorbike-truck.html

The above link shows a little more of the aftermath. He does survive, nursing a broken leg and arm.

Certainly a good reminder of counter steering but also "target fixation" look where you want go and you'll go there. Focus on the tree, wall or, in this case, fire engine and you'll hit it. Watch racers on the track - look at their heads in the corners, they are looking right through the bend out to the other side where they want to go.

The rider just does not know how to ride safely. He looks like an inexperienced rider trying to keep up with another more experienced biker. He came around the corner with the wrong line, allowing the bike to drift over into the left lane.

He was driving to fast for his ability. Once the bike was over in the left lane, there was no way to bring it back to the right lane. Countersteering would not have helped. He was simply going too fast for the curvature of the road.

I know nothing about countersteering, and don't even think about it. What I do know is speed, and choosing the wrong line entering a curve, kills. That rider was very lucky he's not dead.

You always enter a curve on inner part of the curve, so that even if centrifugal forces cause the bike to drift outward, you still remain within your correct lane. He failed to do that.

Its a real rookie mistake, but I guess he knows better now.

He tries to TURN the bike to the right with the handlebars FOUR times, each time it straightens the bike up and he goes further left. If he had turned (pushed) the bars just a little left instead, his lean angle would have increased, his turn would have tightened and he would have easily gone right of the truck.

Look at this still,

29F7D41C00000578-3139121-image-a-32_1435248624845.jpg

Is there any doubt he COULD have missed the truck at this point?
Go out, do the miss a spot in your path practice, TRY different techniques, which works best?

Even better; on a ramp or other constant radius corner use a reasonable speed, no racing needed. try a slow small gentle push on the bars one way then the other, observe your line. Repeat til it's crystal clear what is happening. It can save your life some day. Few riders on the street come anywhere near the limits of what their motorcycle can lean, turn. An XS can grind it's peg ends off going around corners with no upsets.

Side bar; I was fortunate to survive a ditch excursion off a curve early in my motorcycle days. 16 years old, Honda 305 scrambler. I basically did what this guy did! Came into the corner a little fast tried to turn the bars to the inside. The bike straightened and off in the ditch I went. I replayed that tape many times in my head and figured out counter steering. This was in 1971, there was no counter steering being taught at that time.
All the state motorcycle materials and safety courses teach it, it is not a myth.

Never to old to learn...

At his current rate of turn, and the closing speeds, I can see that the amount of correction to avoid the *splat* might have sent him off the right shoulder, duplicating the trail already there, and no traction to recover from the aggressive correction.

Proper correction (at the first try) could've saved it...

I think he could have (I am optimistic for our hobby:wink2: ). At that moment I would've been thinking LEAN TORSO AND HEAD AWAY, or to the inside of iminent death curve! On the other hand, considering one or the other, I'd take the ditch ANY day over a truck grill!

Quote from the Wisconsin DMV motorcycle handbook.

"A swerve is any sudden change in
direction. It can be two quick turns,
or a rapid shift to the side. Apply a
small amount of hand pressure to
the handgrip located on the side of
your intended direction of escape.
This will cause the motorcycle to
lean quickly. The sharper the turn(s),
the more the motorcycle must lean.
Keep your body upright and allow
the motorcycle to lean in the
direction of the turn while keeping
your knees against the tank and
your feet solidly on the pegs. Let
the motorcycle move underneath
you. Make your escape route the
target of your vision. Press on the
opposite handgrip once you clear
the obstacle to return to your original
direction of travel. To swerve to the
left, press the left handgrip, then
press the right to recover. To swerve
to the right, press right, then left."

This reminds me of counter-intuitive flight training.

Before, during, and shortly after WW2, pilots were taught to fly stick-and-rudder and throttle a certain way. Then sometime later, possibly during the implementation of the FAA and NACA to NASA cutover, someone decided to change the training regimen.

Pilots were now taught to push/pull the stick to control altitude, advance/reduce power to control airspeed. Makes sense.

Suddenly, aircraft crashes during landings skyrocketed.

What was happening was that pilots would yank back on the stick if too low during final approach. Already flying slow for the landing approach, the plane would nose-up and stall. *crash*

And, if they were approaching too high, they'd push the stick forward, making the plane speed up, and panic during overshoot.

And, if they were approaching too fast, they'd pull power, forget to reset trim, and descend too fast, then pull back on the stick to reduce the descent, stall, *crash*.

Something was wrong. The whole intuitive flying method didn't work.

Went back to the old way of training.
The stick controls speed. Push forward to speed up, pull back to slow down.
The throttle controls altitude. Apply power to climb. Reduce power to descend.

Crash rates went down...

There is no way that anyone's brain in a panic situation like that would want to turn the bars left into oncoming traffic within the seconds that it happened. I'm surprised he didn't lock her up.

The reason he ran into the truck has nothing to do with his not understanding
countersteering principles.

The reason he hit the truck was too much speed entering the turn, and he was too much to the left side of the lane as he entered. I saw 55 mph on his speedo just before the turn. He did reduce speed slightly as he saw the truck, but by then it was too late. Once he entered the turn, carrying too much speed, and in the wrong position in the lane, he was guaranteed to hit the truck.

Gyroscopic effect of the front wheel wants to keep the bike going in the direction its pointed, and it was pointed at the truck.

This guy had an accident for the same reason that the majority of bikers do......................driving too fast for their ability/experience. Applies to car driving as well.

There is no way that anyone's brain in a panic situation like that would want to turn the bars left into oncoming traffic within the seconds that it happened. I'm surprised he didn't lock her up.

I disagree, never had to on the bike, but I have avoided more than one car accident by doing exactly what you would not think is the right thing. AKA accelerating into a stopped car to shoot the gap. Once you have spent enough time riding and driving/racing off road, there is no norm, everything is a controlled crash situation that you need to avoid, while maintaining as much speed as you can.

I disagree, never had to on the bike, but I have avoided more than one car accident by doing exactly what you would not think is the right thing. AKA accelerating into a stopped car to shoot the gap. Once you have spent enough time riding and driving/racing off road, there is no norm, everything is a controlled crash situation that you need to avoid, while maintaining as much speed as you can.

You're probably right. I never had that much experience off-road, only as a kid. Don't drive much anymore. Motocross riders would definitely relate to this. People do freeze in panic situations though, sometimes for the worse.

I bet he sh*ts his pants every time he hears a fire truck siren after that... if he can even wear pants now....:(

I was taught loooong ago: With your hands on the bars; push left, lean left, go left! Push right, lean right, go right!

Those words still ring true. That, and I ride like everyone's trying to run me over...including local wildlife.:wtf: Yet another reason "Loud pipes save lives!"....within reason:wink2:.

Thanks for the vid Gary!

this is what i was taught also. i've always ridden like that so it has become instinct. i think the rider was too inexperienced for the speeds he was riding at. but i also think this crash could have been avoided if he would have done the above.

Back