-Xs79-

¿Estableció la brecha correctamente ... como muestra el video?
Did you set the gap correctly... like the video shows?

I'm using Google Translate to hopefully use both our languages. How well is that working?
Estoy usando Google Translate para poder usar nuestros dos idiomas. Que tan bien esta funcionando?

¿Estableció la brecha correctamente ... como muestra el video?
Did you set the gap correctly... like the video shows?

I'm using Google Translate to hopefully use both our languages. How well is that working?

I will check the space again. And I'm also using the translator so I don't know worry, it really has been very helpful

I'll keep using it then. Hopefully cut down on miss-communication.
Seguiré usándolo entonces. Esperemos reducir la falta de comunicación.

If the light stays on it means either the points aren't closing to complete the circuit to ground, or perhaps your motor is not properly grounded. Since your motor was removed, that's a good possibility.
Si la luz permanece encendida significa que los puntos no se están cerrando para completar el circuito a tierra o que su motor no está conectado a tierra correctamente. Desde que se quitó el motor, esa es una buena posibilidad.

I had to remove the Points system, the previous owner spoiled the screws. cleanse me i'll get new and upgrade.
IMG_20200301_175747.jpg

If the points are badly worn, they may not close properly and make good contact. Pry them open and look at the mating surfaces. Are they all pitted up? Points are a wear item and must be replaced from time to time. Once they wear too much, they can quit working.

To help you understand what's happening, the lights on from the power through the coil, to the points. That power then goes to ground through the light, turning it on. When the points close, they become a better path to ground. The 12v will then go to ground through the points and not the light... the light goes out. Power goes to the path of least resistance.

Para ayudarlo a comprender lo que está sucediendo, las luces se encienden desde el poder a través de la bobina hasta los puntos. Ese poder luego va a tierra a través de la luz, encendiéndolo. Cuando los puntos se cierran, se convierten en un mejor camino hacia el suelo. El 12v luego irá a tierra a través de los puntos y no la luz ... la luz se apaga. El poder va al camino de menor resistencia.

Pictures are a little fuzzy, but yeah, those look pretty badly pitted. You could clean them up with some 400 sandpaper just to see if the engine will run, but I'd replace those.

Las imágenes son un poco borrosas, pero sí, se ven muy mal. Puede limpiarlos con papel de lija 400 solo para ver si el motor funciona, pero los reemplazaría.

I found this girl
Many years ago I wanted this model.
I have a lot of homework to do.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13mz80I3ehfm1zKHKiz9zpi_XJ15rN-Fa

I have basic knowledge in mechanics, all help is welcome.
My first step was to buy the Clymer´s manual.

Get a clean place to rebuild your engine if you decide to do that. I personally opted to pitch a tent in my back yard and tore the engine down in it. It is way too easy to misplace or lose some little bearing, spring, bolt, or any of the other hundreds of individual parts in the XS engine. It'll make your life loads easier when you don't have to search more than a 6 foot by 6 foot space for that clutch rod ball bearing (ask me how I know). Also, the design of the XS engine is fairly compartmental, so you should make use of zip lock bags or small bins to sort the parts into groups to make reassembly easier. for example, the shift mechanism fits nicely into a small tray, as does the clutch basket and bolts, the crank gears, and the top end parts. Other than those practices, the XS engine isn't really that much more complex than a dirt bike motor. If something doesn't feel right STOP. there are so many resources online for this bike that it's silly not to spend a day or two figuring out exactly how to install a certain gear or bearing correctly. Best of luck to you, and post lots of pictures!

Do some searches on 3 Phase Rectifiers or automotive regulators..........these are preferred over solid State Reg/Rect...........need to do some basic wiring your self

.Here is a link to a Points, Type B Solid State Reg/Rect......http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/ ....Points, type B,combined SS Reg/rect should have 2 wiring tails as per the wiring/pics in the thread

http://www.xs650.com/threads/pre-1980-regulator-non-nylon-screw-version.10699/#post-109435
post 2........has a few different automotive regulators that can be used for a points bike

http://www.xs650.com/threads/3-phase-rec-worth-a-shot.53317/#post-568095
Post 8......shows the factory wiring for the Regulator and Rectifier. Shows how a SS Reg/ Rect would need 2 sets of wiring tails to accommodate 2 separate components
post 15.......Shows a pic of a 3 Phase rectifier and automotive type B regulator wired up

Last edited:
Do some searches on 3 Phase Rectifiers or automotive regulators..........these are preferred over solid State Reg/Rect...........need to do some basic wiring your self

.Here is a link to a Points, Type B Solid State Reg/Rect......http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/ ....Points, type B,combined SS Reg/rect should have 2 wiring tails as per the wiring/pics in the thread

http://www.xs650.com/threads/pre-1980-regulator-non-nylon-screw-version.10699/#post-109435
post 2........has a few different automotive regulators that can be used for a points bike

http://www.xs650.com/threads/3-phase-rec-worth-a-shot.53317/#post-568095
Post 8......shows the factory wiring for the Regulator and Rectifier. Shows how a SS Reg/ Rect would need 2 sets of wiring tails to accommodate 2 separate components
post 15.......Shows a pic of a 3 Phase rectifier and automotive type B regulator wired up

This is a good option for regulator?

Attachments

• 15845563929476952926406458482877.jpg
    15845563929476952926406458482877.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 175
Your alternator stator is off an 80 or newer bike. That would be wired for the 'A' type regulator. So what you need is gonna depend on how your bikes wired.... for an 'A' or 'B' type regulator. Have a read here.

IMG_20200210_110434.jpg

Your alternator stator is off an 80 or newer bike. That would be wired for the 'A' type regulator. So what you need is gonna depend on how your bikes wired.... for an 'A' or 'B' type regulator. Have a read here.

View attachment 162142

Thanks for the class it is definitely a type "A". I just didn't know if this regulator worked for this type of wiring, and it's priced fairly low (around $ 5) and apparently compatible with most Chryslers. is it ok for this regulator to handle 65A?

Thanks for the class it is definitely a type "A". I just didn't know if this regulator worked for this type of wiring, and it's priced fairly low (around $ 5) and apparently compatible with most Chryslers. is it ok for this regulator to handle 65A?
As long as it's a type A... and your bike's wired for a type A... yes, it should work. The XS650 only puts out about 20A (on a good day ;) )

Back