Your best mods.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to see your best mods. The one you're most proud of, best because it makes the bike perform better, whatever. Doesn't have to be an engineering masterpiece, or most complex. We're all different, we all have different skill levels, show off your work.

Last edited:
I had this general vision to build a vintage style bike and one of the desired features was floorboards. Looked everywhere for the right style floorboards and I had enough experience to know that I preferred ones that had integral controls. Hard to find floorboards not specific to a Harley and harder yet to find ones with integrated controls. I think I found one potential set-up in a Kuryakin offering. I then remembered Yamaha V-Star Classics had floorboards and, yep, integral controls. Mounting looked pretty straightforward as they bolted to cast features in the stock V-Star frame. Bet piecing that together (OEM) would probably get really pricey – luckily not. All-in a shade over $500 – ordered.
VSTAR OEM BOARDS.png

Once the basic custom frame had the engine in, the front-end/bars on and the seat installed it became apparent that the boards wanted to be forward – way forward. In fact, I ran out of frame-rail – crap!
MKVI BARE (2).jpg

Custom building is just overcoming a series of obstacles and I got lucky. I figured if I welded on a cross-tube to the front of the engine cradle and then welded 10mm bungs into that, the rear mount bungs (50mm on center) landed just behind the cradles’ bend. Not good practice to have to drill holes in a bend.
CROSS BAR MNT.jpg

I got lucky and the position is perfect. Even maintenance is not an issue as left and right covers are wide open once the two 10mm flanged allens drop the boards off quickly.
BOBDXS 0822 (2).jpg

Attachments

• BOBDXS FRONT (2).jpg
    BOBDXS FRONT (2).jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Street Tracker builds with 19” rear wheels have been popular for a long time (more popular than floorboards certainly). If the basis for the build is a Special (16” rear stock) a problem arises as the stock side stand is about 3” too short with the taller wheel/tire combo (esp. dirt track tires).

One solution that I stumbled across to solve that problem is a side stand from a 1998-2002 era R6 or R1 Yamaha sport bike. The length is perfect, so only minor mods and welding are required to adapt it to the stock frame. The pivot hole diameter is identical as is that boss’ thickness.
standside_medium5EB2731100-01_fe09.jpg
yamaha-yzfr1-yzfr1c-2002-2-usa-california-stand-footrest_bigyau2208e-5_b71e.gif

The foot on the sport bikes’ stand is small and sits at the wrong angle, so some grinding is in order to improve that and I chose to weld on some additional plate to enlarge the footprint for softer surfaces.

R1 R6 STAND.jpg
20220818_153306.jpg

The other mods required are to relocate the spring tab to the other side and most importantly a new stop needs fabricated and welded to the stand to mate-up with the stop on the stock frame (down position). With those modifications made, the set-up uses the stock XS stand spring.
TRACKER STAND STOP PLATE.jpg

TRACKER STAND 01.jpg

Lastly, the toe catch needs extended so you can get at it with your boot. That modification is accomplished easiest if you just put appropriate size tubing over the existing toe catch and weld it in place. The length and angle will vary depending on the header pipes one runs (mine returns to the frame rail).
20220820_144703 (3) (1).jpg

Attachments

• R1 R6 STAND.jpg
    R1 R6 STAND.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
My best mod is transforming the vacuum petcock into a manual one that doesn't cause the immense suffering and misery of the vacuum one.

Huh. Too many modifications to list and every effort made to make damn sure you won't see them if you don't look real, real close and know WTF you're looking at. There's more out there than flash, fashionistos. My kind of build is what used to be known as a sleeper. You won't look twice till the rider wakes it up. Then you won't look long because it won't be long in sight. Have fun exhibiting. Peace.

Last edited:
My best mod is transforming the vacuum petcock into a manual one that doesn't cause the immense suffering and misery of the vacuum one.
My second best mod is transforming Purplezinger's brilliant but vague Honda coil suggestion into a term you can search on ebay.

My third best mod is replacing those buckhorn bars with same-era Honda 750 bars which allow the palms to face forward and down which gives much more strength to the brake pull, and not the least of which keeps you from needing rotator cuff surgery if you ride much at all

My 4th best mod is an anti-mod. It was ridiculing someone who wanted to safety wire the drive chain on.

My 5th best mod is adding a switch for the headlight on '80+ and simultaneously bypassing a relay that's iffy from age.

My 6th best mod is taking the chain guard off and throwing it away before it gets tangled up in the rear sprocket. And there are also many other things that I did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

My best mod was definitely reducing front unsprung weight by close to 5 kg/ over 10 lbs. This improved the front suspension a lot, and gave me a way better front brake as well.
(This was achieved by ditching the ridicoulusly heavy dual discs and stock calipers, and replacing them with a single 320 mm ISR disc and a 4 piston Brembo caliper. And using a polished alloy front fender from TheTankshop in Scotland)
Maybe not cheap, but made a massive difference to braking and handling.

And consequently, converting a single disc XS to a stock dual disc setup must be about the worst mod there is.....

My kind of build is what used to be known as a sleeper. You won't look twice till the rider wakes it up. Then you won't look long because it won't be long in sight. Have fun exhibiting. Peace.
I remember that XS650. It did 1/4 mile in 8.834 seconds with a top speed of 161.37 mph.

My 4th best mod is an anti-mod. It was ridiculing someone who wanted to safety wire the drive chain on.
Copied one I found on the web, it's been on Madness for years n thousands of miles.
safety wire master link.jpg master link safety wire.jpg
:smoke:
Virago handlebar risers. Up n back about an 1" each it also allows fork cap access without removing the handlebars. Big time saver if you are tuning your front suspension. The through bolts are BARELY long enough to hold a nut, suggest blue locktite or better, custom "long" nuts made from a coupling nut.
siligrips.jpg
While we're here Colorado Siligrips, he's not making them "right now" :confused:
Yamaha Star mirrors are nice also. I think the ones on the 1100 stars have longer stems.
With a single stock front brake caliper the 10mm MC mod with SS line nearly a must do.
Later model brake disk, take off 3 POUNDS of unsprung weight!
front rotors.jpg
Wider rims.
A Jim rewound alternator rotor.

Last edited:
Back