For Sale - 1978 XS650 Special

skyhawk04kilo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This bike underwent a complete resto-mod in 2010. Many parts were replaced or upgraded to modern spec using parts sourced from 650 Central and MikesXS. I'll try to list what I've done to it but I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff.

Frame:
The frame, swingarm, triples, fork sliders, and many other components were removed, stripped down, and powdercoated by a professional powdercoater. All parts were done in black with the exception of the fork sliders and the headlight rim, which are silver.
Stock plastic swingarm bushings were replaced with bronze bushings to improve handling
Stock ball-and-race bearings in the steering head were replaced with tapered roller bearings to improve handling
Wheel bearings and seals were all replaced with new All Balls parts

Engine/Drive:
750cc kit installed
Pamco electronic ignition (with the black coil)
Chrome oil filter / cooler kit which uses newer style filters that can be bought at any Honda dealer
New headers and mufflers. They look good but they’re quiet, so you won’t piss off the neighbors
Airboxes were removed and replaced with XS Performance pod filters
Stock carbs were kept, but jetted to run with the new air filters and exhausts
New o-ring chain and sprockets (stock teeth – 17/34)
New non-vacuum petcocks (not installed yet but will be installed before you buy)

Electrical System:
New wiring harness and switch housings (left and right)
New headlight
HotGrips heated grips installed through a relay. The relay shuts off when you turn the key off so they don’t kill the battery if you leave them on.
New AGM sealed gel cell battery. This battery will not leak if knocked over as there is no liquid acid inside. Maintained on a battery tender over the winters.

Paint:
Paint on the fuel tank is a one-off pattern professionally painted years ago. It is starting to peel on the bottom on one side but overall it looks great.
Front and rear fenders painted to match the color on the fuel tank
Fork brace installed and painted to match the rest of the bike

Brakes:
Front brake was replaced with the Brembo kit from 650 Central including a Brembo master cylinder, Brembo rotor, Vesrah pads, and stainless steel line. The rear brake has new pads and a stainless steel line. Front and rear calipers were rebuilt with new pistons and new seals.

Suspension:
New Progressive fork springs were installed. They are stiffer than stock and the front doesn’t dive when braking. Rear suspension was replaced with Progressive shocks. The suspension is set up for a 170lbs rider.

Tires are Shinko SR 712s that stick like glue and have a lot of life left in them.

As you can tell by the description above, I’ve put a lot of money and time into this bike. It runs and looks like a brand new bike. It has 24,000 miles on it in total, about 2,000 since the restoration. I know the full history of the bike, as it has been in my family since new in 1978. I can answer any and all questions. I'm asking $4500 (I've got about $6k in parts into it). I will consider any reasonable offer.

Located in north NJ. This is the only decent photo I've got since the restoration but I can take more. PM me with any questions.