'41 Chevy Taillight on XS

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't post many pictures but here goes. I've always thought the tail end of my '83 Heritage Special was butt ugly and I've got an affinity for hinged fenders like on old Harleys, Indians, and probably a dozen different Brit bikes so I sawed 2 fenders, added the henge, made an epoxy taillight mount and bolted it all together. When I'm done I'll strip the chrome paint the fender. Then comes the front fender which will need to be lengthened on both ends.

The light is a 1941 Chevy reproduction with real glass and great chrome. I had to but two to get one.

The pipes are still under construction as well. If you look close you can see the tiny fins.

Attachments

• Fender.JPG
    Fender.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 122
I don't post many pictures but here goes. I've always thought the tail end of my '83 Heritage Special was butt ugly and I've got an affinity for hinged fenders like on old Harleys, Indians, and probably a dozen different Brit bikes so I sawed 2 fenders, added the henge, made an epoxy taillight mount and bolted it all together. When I'm done I'll strip the chrome paint the fender. Then comes the front fender which will need to be lengthened on both ends.

The light is a 1941 Chevy reproduction with real glass and great chrome. I had to but two to get one.

The pipes are still under construction as well. If you look close you can see the tiny fins.I like it

Nice choice for a light. I've always hated the XS650 stock taillight. Can I assume it takes an 1157 bulb ? Since this is a surface mount light the bulb socket and bucket are on the back side of the fender where things can get pretty dirty. Also, it appears that you had to cut a fairly large hole in the fender. Can you elaborate ?

Nice choice for a light. I've always hated the XS650 stock taillight. Can I assume it takes an 1157 bulb ? Since this is a surface mount light the bulb socket and bucket are on the back side of the fender where things can get pretty dirty. Also, it appears that you had to cut a fairly large hole in the fender. Can you elaborate ?
The light is mounted on a wedge shaped epoxy base which allowed me to turn the light closer to vertical than mounting it directly on the fender. At the bottom the mount is about 1-1/4" thick and about 2" at the top. This allowed me to use a hole about 3/4" dia in the fender. Yes, it uses an 1157 bulb.

The henge is simply an old door hinge I stripped and painted. When finished I'll paint the bolts holding the henge to match the fender.

Back