Digital Multimeter - How To Use

bluebikerblan

Geezer
Reaction score
From time to time and post to post....I get the impression that many of us may not be
as familiar and confident with using the digital multimeter as we might like to be or even
we might think we are.

Here's an excellent flash presentation on the subject. Good teaching aid and real good check up review (even if you think you're usually right). Don't be surprised if you make a mistake or two and learn a bit along the way.

http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl/natsci/slc/slconline/IDIG/DigiMeter.htm

Best, Blue :thumbsup:

Well that was fun.. Finally learned what 0.L means.. I didn't really learn much else but it's a good little learning aid for someone who is new to using a multimeter. My advice to anyone new to electrical stuff on a motorcycle would be to buy at least an auto-ranging multimeter (about $40 I think) and at the minimum know how to do what the tutorial shows you how to do. That will get you started. For some bikes, you might end up playing with the diode function which this tutorial doesn't cover but is simple enough.

One thing to know if you ever use a meter to measure current is it probably won't work. The reason is there's a fuse inside that blows if you try to measure voltage with the probe in the jack for current and somebody at some time has probably done that with the meter you're using :) Of course you can just open it up and pop in a new fuse. Why it wasn't working wouldn't have been obvious though.

Thank you both.
Not off until Mon. but plan on spending some time with these tutorials.
"Knowledge is power" don't know who said it but.......

Travis, Your recomendation on an auto ranging meter isn't one I would give. Sometimes the auto ranging meters can't decide what range to use. Mostly on the low ohms that are required to test our alternators.
I would reccomend a non auto ranging meter. The one Harbor Freight sells at $7.99 regular price, usually on sale for $3.99, $1.99 with coupon. Is a good meter, reads the low ohms just fine. I got one to replace my Sunpro meter, turns out the leads where bad, not the meter.

Just went through the how to. It was kinda fun. A very good tutorial for some one just starting out.

Actually I would still recommend the auto-ranging meter. Just get a decent one for $40-$60 and it should be fine. I've never had any problems with mine. If you're worried that it's not working right, buy the $2 as a backup to double check.

Back